Part 18

Tom's POV:
BBQ weather was here. Yes! This meant a family BBQ today.

And we were going all out. The swimming pool was uncovered, all the summer sport games that we play were out too and I was in my element. Cooking on the BBQ.

Frank was already over and was in the pool with Jack and Olivia, Elodie was helping Y/n prepare the salads, while Freddie was helping me.

Freddie and Frank has spoke about the whole mall situation and had made up. But Freddie had made it quite clear that Frank was a dead man if he hurt any of us.

"Yo Dad, put a shirt on!" Elodie called pulling me out of my thoughts. I had my shirt off as I was sweating.

I flipped a burger and then turned towards her. "Sun's out, gun's out" I said flexing my biceps. Y/n spat her drink out. "Agreed" Frank chimed in, backing me up. "Oh god". She rolled her eyes. "We have two of them" Y/n finished.

Around 30 minutes later and dinner was nearly ready. Olivia was playing Swing ball and Freddie had abandoned me to go and play too. I didn't mind though, it gave me some time to talk with Frank.

"Thank you for inviting me today Mr Holland". Frank was helping me cook the last bits while Jack was having his nap.

"It's Tom. And it's no problem. You're welcome around anytime" I responded. "After everything I've done?" He questioned. I nodded. "You proved yourself when Y/n was in hospital by being there for all of us. And you definitely proved yourself after the speech you gave last night" I said. Franks face was red. "I meant all of it. And I know if I mess up, which I won't, all of you will most likely kill me" he awkwardly laughed. "Most likely? Most definitely" I laughed too. Frank looked down to Jack, sleeping in his bassinet.

You could see the love for his son in his eyes but you could also see the guilt.

"May I ask you a question?" I asked. Frank nodded, pulling his gaze away from Jack. "You don't have to answer this if you don't want to but yesterday, when Elodie said "what about your parents", what did she mean?".

I broached the subject carefully.

"Well Mum and Dad were the reason why I never saw Jack for the first 3 months. They said that because your family were famous and had lots of money, they would do anything to bring non famous people down. To humiliate them. And I stupidly believed them" Frank spoke. He then continued, "I got into a dark place. They kept on and on about how grateful that I wasn't in Jack's life. It pained me each time but the day I finally snapped was the day Elodie posted a picture of Jack smiling. I knew that I couldn't miss out on anymore of his life. I told Mum and Dad this and they told me it was either them or Jack. So I took my chances. I haven't spoken to them since." I was shocked. How could people do that to their son and grandchild.

"I was so happy Elodie had agreed to meet me that I got over confident and kissed her. I knew it was wrong and I knew she would never have me back. So after Freddie punched me, I ran home, well to an abandoned house I had been squatting in, and cried thinking I had messed everything up. But when Elodie texted that night explaining she wanted me in Jack's life, I knew I couldn't mess up. So I ran back to Mum and Dad's, and I know this was wrong, but I stole Dad's company card and bought a small 2 bedroom apartment, about a 10 minute walk from here. I am determined to be the best Dad to Jack so getting an apartment was the first step to show everyone how serious I was. I got a job too, in the local school as a teaching assistant. It's money to pay for my apartment and to spend on Jack. I don't know if Elodie has told you but I also pay her monthly for looking after Jack. She didn't want me too but I wanted too. So yeah that's what Elodie meant yesterday" he stopped and looked at me.

"You weren't with your Dad yesterday were you?" I asked. Frank shook his head. "No. You see Elodie doesn't know the full story. I don't want anyone to take pity on me. She knows I've got my own apartment but she doesn't know about the things my Parents said about your family. And she doesn't know that I'm not speaking to them either" Frank added. "Oh Frank. You should have told us sooner. We may have been angry with what you had done but we would have supported you. We will support you" I said, putting my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. "Thank you Tom. I will tell Elodie" he replied. "Go tell her now before we sit down for food" I encouraged him. He nodded and started to walk off. "Oh and Frank. You're Dad is far more richer than we are" I laughed. He laughed too. "Now go, I'll look after this monkey" I said picking Jack up. He was screaming as he just woke up. "Thank you for listening Tom". "I'm always here".