Part 21

Your POV:
I had been sat here for 10 minutes, staring at my phone, debating whether or not to press the call button. "Fuck it" I whispered while pressing the call button and putting the phone to my ear.

The ringing was nerve wracking. "She hasn't picked up before so why would she pick up now" I thought.

Suddenly the ringing stopped. I was about to pull the phone away, when I heard my name. "Y/n?" I was shocked. "Mum?" I whispered.

"Yes darling. It's me". She sounded sad. She better be. "Um...wow...um you answered" I stuttered. "Yeah. Listen I'm sorry for ignoring you. I just couldn't bring myself to answer any messages or letters because I knew how much I had hurt you" she stammered. "You leaving hurt me Mum. More than you will ever know. You didn't even try to make it up to any of us. You just left". There was silence then.

"I know. And there are no words I can say to make it better" she cried. "I've spent the last 14 years thinking it was my fault. And then finally I had started to believe it wasn't" I spoke, trying not to break down in tears. "Honey it wasn't your fault. It was mine" Mum said. Ignoring her, I carried on, "Then my 16 year old son, shouts at me, and I quote him, "no wonder why grandma left" and do know what, all that doubt came back to me. Why Mum? Why did you leave us?". I had to stop because tears were spilling from my eyes. "Y/n my love, I am so sorry. For everything. For everything I have put you, Harrison and Charlotte through. I know it's getting late there, but I promise to FaceTime you tomorrow and explain everything". "Promise?" I cried. "Promise my love". "Okay" I whispered. "I love you" she said. I cut off as I couldn't bring myself to say "I love you". I just wanted to know why she left and maybe be able to except that it wasn't my fault.