Chapter 5: The End (of lunch period)

Your breathing started to get heavy in the middle of an intense rally. Since you were only playing one set, the team decided to go all-out. You dashed across the court to receive yet another chance ball. Your legs and lungs were burning, your arms already began to get sore, and your mind became fogged with exhaustion. You hadn't had a break since you performed that feint-like play in front of a triple-block. Your team had a steady lead, 17-14. As expected with a team of mainly third-years. You did realize that the new first-years- Kageyama Tobio and Hinata Shoyo- had really great volleyball chemistry (is it really just volleyball, tho?). They hadn't had many attacks together yet, and they haven't performed what Daichi could only call the "Insane Quick Attack," but you could tell that their skills complemented each others' perfectly. Hinata trusted the setter blindly and whole-heartedly, even though they weren't close in any way whatsoever.

They had minimal tension while playing, even though they seemed to get in a lot of arguments between plays. Kageyama also trusted Hinata but seemed to view him more as an innocent, inexperienced child rather than a team player. Hinata was very unique. He was a ball of pure energy and optimism, barely fazed by the fact that he is much shorter than the average volleyball player. He had raw athletic power, and that's what put him above others. Although they haven't hit their full potential yet, Kageyama, the king of the court, adapted towards his playing, therefore making them the perfect match (° ͜ʖ ͡°) oh my word,, why does that lenny face look so horrid?).

Well, anyway, you realized that shutting them both down would be the best option. A lot of momentum could be gained from that one unbeatable play. You couldn't jump very high or run that fast, so you had to use your strategic plays to beat them. One thing you noticed is the Hinata can also serve as a great Decoy, and can get upset if he doesn't actually receive the ball.

If you shut down Kageyama, however, that play was off the table. Kageyama was a tough opponent. He would do whatever it took to win. He was smart and experienced and athletic, so outstanding prediction skills were expected from him.

You had to trick him again. If you spike it just right, so that Hinata loses control of his receive, then Kageyama would have to cover. Even if he didn't, it would throw them off enough to prevent any quick attacks from either side.

You scooted a bit closer to Suga, and motioned for him to lower his head.

"Hey, Suga-san," You whispered, getting his attention. You brought your lips to his ear to whisper so that he could hear. You were so close. You could hear his heart beating unnaturally quickly and see his face reddening the slightest bit. You concluded that it was because of the game. Then you told him about your plan, and all of your thoughts faded away, until it was volleyball and volleyball only. This way, you failed to notice the setter's spreading blush and dilating pupils.

And, no, it was not because of the game. In fact, he had no idea what was happening with him, and settled on the idea that having a girl so close could affect anyone like that.

He nodded his head at your next set preferences and settled back into the game. You smiled as a thanks, and blushed as he gave his adorable grin and thumbs up in return. (Things are moving a tad faster now, since I have a bit of a one-shot mindset now. Don't worry, it'll be a little before either of you confess ^^).

You watched intently as the ball flew over the net, received perfectly by Daichi. You watched in awe as the ball rebounded off of Suga's hands. He did it so smoothly and calmly while remaining focused. Perfect.

You jumped early so that you can channel all of your power straight at the ball towards Hinata. Smack!

Perfect again! The volleyball spiraled towards Hinata, causing it to lurch to the side after it hit his forearm. Kageyama sprinted towards the ball at the same time that-