Chapter 7: Part of a Family

"W-Wh? No?" You stammer in confusion. Your head hurt from the heartbreak. "Why...?"

"They said no..." The advisor looked at the ground. You turned around to find the rest of the team looking at you sadly. Kageyama just looked mad, and Tsukki looked... normal, I guess. You frowned and scratched the back of your head in embarrassment.

"I-I'm so sorry for-" You started to apologize.

"It's not your fault," Suga said abruptly. He walked up to you and ruffled your hair as the rest of the team walked up to you as well, patting your back in support. You felt your breath hitch as you held back your tears. The real reason you wanted to join wasn't only because of volleyball. You wanted to be a part of this team. Share every win, every loss, every moment with all of them. You smiled at them.

"Guys, you didn't let me finish..." Takeda waved us over. And laughed. Laughed? "They said no... problem! You're in!" You gave him a "please-don't-be-joking-with-me" look. "I, um... I tried a joke... Sorry, guys. Too much?"

"WHAT THE HELL, TAKEDA?" You exclaimed happily out of surprise and smiled widely. Takeda was so happy to see you so excited that he just pushed aside the fact that you screamed "what the hell" at him. The team cheered in response. "THANK YOU!"

"YEAH!" You smiled and hugged the nearest person to you out of impulse.

"Sorry, Suga, I'm just so happy..." You blushed and walked away from him to help Daichi calm Noya, Tanaka, Hinata, and Kageyama down. (let me just tell you that he looked like a nekoma jersey~)

You pushed the two boys apart, since Hinata had started commenting on Kageyama's emotionlessness, making him shout "BOKE" at him in response. You ruffled the tangerine's hair (i'm having too much fun with all these nicknames lmfao) and gave them both a smile and thumbs up, causing them to blush profusely. Then your adrenaline drained down.

You started to get nervous and embarrassed again. You had just shouted at the advisor, hugged the vice captain, flirted with the first-years (aHem not really, but you go, brain-), and made a fool of yourself in front of the entire club. You froze and became silent, flushed as you realized how much crackhead energy you had radiated in the past five minutes.

"S-Sorry, everyone, I got a bit too excited," You said shakily. You turned to face the club advisor and apologized to him, too.

"Don't get your hopes up, you're technically not a part of the club until you turn in your club applications," Tsukishima remarked.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot. Sorry, Tsukishima," You called back at him absentmindedly as you received the papers from Daichi. You were turned around, but he looked kind of shocked and intrigued. (shoot, now this is becoming a karasuno x reader-)

You put your things away and decided to just watch practice (well, Daichi and Coach Ukai decided that, but who cares). You felt pretty guilty, though, because there was only half of practice left due to you joining. You watched as the club played yet another scrimmage. They communicated perfectly, especially the third-years. It was like they were all one person. Well, not the first-years, they still need work, you decided as you spotted Bakageyama shouting at Hinata while Tsukishima was laughing in the background. But you admired how Suga seemed to know each teammate's strengths, weaknesses, and technique.

He snapped you back to reality when he waved awkward, spotting you, who had inadvertently been staring intently at him. You flushed and waved back. Then it happened. Sugawara's set. He accommodated Asahi's spike preference, it matched perfectly. Slightly closer to the net. That just reminded you...

AHAHA author-chan is so evil,, time for a ✨flashback✨ ...uwu i luv u all

"When you play volleyball, you have to remember it is a team sport. You have to know each team members' preferences, where they work best, who they work best with and against, everything you can know about them, you should. It's like... being part of a family. You have to know them like how you'd know a sibling. What do they like? What's their mindset? Because that's what you are... a family!"

And that meant that you'd be a part of a family. A happy one, where you fit in. You were part of a family now. People loved you. They would try to get to know you. Why did that feel so significant? You smiled, and felt your lips quiver.

Memories of your mother filled your brain. You had played volleyball, through her words. But you could've tried harder. Then you would've been part of a family.

Next thing you knew, your legs raced as fast as your heart. You ran outside and took some deep breaths as tears ran down your cheeks. What the hell is happening to me? You knew that you couldn't control how you felt, but why... Why did you feel so overwhelmingly happy? You sighed and pressed your back against the metal gym doors. You cringed as you cried more, wondering why you were such a dramatic crybaby (i'm sorry, reader-chan..).

You wiped away your tears and leaned backwards, only to realize that there was nothing to lean back on.

"AGH!" With a thump, you fell back onto the gym floor, looking up to see an angel staring back down at you. (naw bro u not dead)

sorry, this is really bad!! i wrote it in an attempt to get another chapter out before i have to go on a tini hiatus (also also also i have an excuse - wattpad crashed for me so uh yeah)

but ig that's not entirely to blame since my brain cells told me that bodily function is overrated and left

ow.

i also have a concept for an Oikawa Tooru x Reader, i might follow through with it!! i want to make him more of a layered character, so there ya go ((unpopular opinion) his personality should suck less since (popular opinion) he's ✨beautiful✨)

~i'm running out of ideas for closings so uh, bai

~~from author-chan (who is taking a break uwu)