Chapter 15: Hello, Is It Me You're Looking For?

Lionel Richie is quaking-

"(Y/n)?"

Your breath hitched. Was that-

"Y-Yes?"

"Oh, you finally answered."

"I... I missed you," You blurted happily. You could hear it in his voice. His faint smile.

"You do realize that it's only been a week since-"

You heard a shout from the other side of the line.

"Jiji? What do you mean?"

"I-I have to go now, (Y/n)."
"Wait! I still want to talk! Are you okay? Why is someone shouting? I have so much to tell you about! I joined the volleyball team! What school do you go to? I go to-"

A beep signalled the end of the call. You felt your heart drop.

You redialed the number, no answer.

"(Y/n)."

Again, again.

"(Y/n)."

No answer, no voicemail, no texts.

"(Y/N)!"

You jumped when a pale hand grazed your forearm, just as you saved the unknown number's contact. You had almost forgotten about Suga, who was sitting there awkwardly as you answered the call.

"That's him?"

You nodded your head sheepishly, holding back tears once again.

"Don't worry, he'll probably call back. Just be patient, okay?" Suga assured you.

You nodded again.

"Let's head back to class."

The rest of the day was long. You found yourself awaiting your ringtone, hoping to feel the buzz of an incoming message.

But nothing.

How could he not contact you? Was he really okay?

You clenched your hand into a fist as you walked towards the gym with the rest of the volleyball team's third years.

You were changed in the uniform they provided - a blue jersey with a number "13" printed in big font. You stretched, practiced in-place receives.

Entering the gym and practicing with the others felt like you had all of your problems instantly wiped away. Until you remembered how athletic you were.

Not very-

Then you had to run laps and do workouts-

Lemme tell you, you were winded. You're not exactly the most athletic one, but you had assumed your mentality could've made up for it. They could probably tell that you didn't have much stamina, since Coach Ukai took you out to work on "separate training."

The boys didn't mind, they were just excited to have you finally practicing with them.

You studied the positions again and reviewed strategies for in-game techniques and plays. You had a lot to catch up on.

"Ukai-sensei, are you sure it'll be okay for me to join so late? Do you think I'll be able to keep up?" You questioned.

"As long as you keep your determination," He replied simply, examining the team as they practiced separately.

Although you expected practice to be boring and lonely since you were so different than all of the boys, you had no problem fitting in. During small breaks, you chatted with Kiyoko and Yachi, who seemed just as flustered as you were, being in the same gym with a bunch of hot (aHhahaHAHH) guys.