25. The Odd Butterfly.

He was different. Different than I thought he would be.

A night full of pizza and exchanging distinct memories of our childhood caused us to learn more about each other.

He likes art, poetry, and jazz. He despises holes in his jeans, parties, and pop music.

I wasn't too surprised about his dislikes since he drunk himself out of conversations at Kiana's party.

I even found out that Violet's nickname was Jelly because she was a great swimmer in high school.

Still, while my childhood was filled with bliss until the age of six, Vincent's was nothing but staying quiet and surviving.

We made the mistake of watching a movie in the living room and ended up crashing there. Well, I was the only one who closed my eyes.

My arm was numb and tingly from me sleeping on it with no help from the cushion the couch had. I looked to the floor and saw the makeshift bed he made on there with a pillow and blanket.

I tried my best to have Vincent rest again but he was too worried about the consequences. To my defeat, I drifted to sleep during our argument. I even forgot to put my scarf on my head.

The smell of warm butter and coffee shot to my brain as an alarm to get up.

With a yawn, I turned onto my back and attempted to rub the sleep out of my eyes. When I opened them I saw a curly-haired figure was standing over me.

"Good morning!" His chipper little voice greeted. I noticed that he had chocolate all over his face.

"Morning Joey. I'm guessing you already got into the food?" I sat up from the couch and he moved his head.

"Yeah! Papá made eggs and oatmeal and pancakes and orange juice and-"

"Piccolo, why don't you let Amari see for herself what we're eating," Vincent rung out from the kitchen with a chuckle.

"Okay."

Joey put his little hand in mine and tugged me to the kitchen island where there was indeed a lot of food.

"That's strange. When I looked around last night there was not even one bag of chips."

I sat in the chair in front of the island and Joey sat next to me to finish whatever was left on his plate. The boy was a fast eater.

"When I went to pick up Joey this morning we ran to the store." Vincent sat a plate in front of me that had all of the goodies that Joey mentioned. He even went as far as to draw a smiley face on my pancakes with whipped cream.

He was definitely different. Way different than I thought he would be.

I would have not guessed that I would be sitting here eating breakfast with the guy I was supposed to kill and his son.

Is it anticlimactic or climactic?

It was disappointing to Nova when she heard I hadn't killed him, but I was looking forward to spending more time with him.

"Why are you two covered in flour? You couldn't have worked that hard to make pancakes." My eyes flickered from Vincent to Joey who had mischievous grins on their faces.

I didn't like this one bit.

In swift movements, Vincent balled some flour in his hand and threw it on me. Joey leaned over the counter to do the same and ended up getting more of my face covered.

My mouth was open in shock and I wiped the flour from my eyes and saw a panicked look go over Vincent's face when I grabbed the entire bowl of flour.