Chapter 1: Sorry For Party Rocking

Static crackles in my ears.

"All rise for King Jaime!"

Fanfare music follows before another voice, poised and airy speaks.

"And you join the Peoples' Radio today as we attend the first State Opening of Parliament in several years here at the House of Commons, newly cleared of zombies and refurbished for the occasion," The reporter says happily. "I must say, the patchwork cushions look cheerful, and the handmade scepter and mace are a delight!

"And here comes King Jaime himself, accompanied by an honor guard of, it says here women of the Royal Roller Derby."

A small smile makes its way on my face. The girls are well enough to skate again. At least... the girls that are still alive are.

"Roller guards, formation crossover!" Natasha yells, and applause erupts a moment later. The cheering makes me wish I could be in there to see what that move was.

"Well, that's a very moving sight," The reporter says, clearly impressed. "Much may have been lost in this country-the last government feel just six weeks ago-but watching those women unfurling their sparkling Union Jack pennants, I know we haven't lost our sense of pomp and pageantry."

"Yeah," Sam agrees softly. "You know, they do look quite good. When Jaime told me, I wasn't sure, but actually-"

"Sam!" Jody whispers harshly, and I flinch. "Urgent coms only! Me, Five and Twenty-seven are just on the outer wall. It's so quiet, anyone could hear."

Nicole rolls her eyes, her good hand coming up to ruffle her hair, which has grown out just long enough to put in a ponytail. "If you wanted someone to be quiet on coms, you should have had me in there instead of out here. Not that I mind, but we both know Mr. Obscure Pop Culture Reference can't go five minutes without talking or flirting with Singer."

"I haven't flirted with Five this entire mission, thank you. And she's my wife, so I think I have a pass to flirt with her whenever I want."

"Both of you, quiet," I hiss, and Nicole wrinkles her nose at me while Sam huffs.

I didn't realize them becoming siblings-in-law would make them bicker more than they already did. Man, it gets annoying.

"And here come the leaders of the major factions around the United Kingdoms, each wearing a pennant of their house or settlement," The reporter continues, and we go silent. "Of course, there's important business to debate today, but proper form must be observed first."

My back straightens at the low rumbling that reaches my ears, distance shouts and hollers soon following. My face scrunches up as a vulgar curse slips past my lips.

"Yeah, I hear it too," Jody says with a sigh. "Bikes."

"Yep. I've got them on cams. Coming in from the east." Sam sounds just as annoyed as we are. "Oh buggar. I thought Janine's intel might be wrong."

The blonde's eyes go wide. "She'll hear you and beat you with an Abel pennant later. Janine's intel is never wrong. Those are not latecomers to the conference."

The roar of the motorcycles as they get closer border on painful. The shrieking laughter of the Riders mix with the sounds of breaking glass as they destroy everything in their path.

The reporter clears her throat. "And there's a little disturbance, as we all knew there might be, but this parliament is well protected."

"Alright," Sam says, "there's eight-no, ten-bikers approaching, wearing Last Rider jackets. They have the usual souped-up bikes, whirling chains around their heads-oh, they've got flaming arrows now too. That's new."