The Congregate

Zoe Saldana as Elora, but with green eyes.

~~~

Lunch was uneventful. There was a simple but hearty serving of chicken stew, over which Elora, Enki and I were quickly finding ourselves in a comfortable camaraderie. Afterwards, Advisor Tethys gave a brief introductory speech detailing the basic rules – one of them was advice against frivolous use of energy in front of non-Congregants. She explained that this was a sign of respect to those who did not have our knowledge, to which Advisor Lokni gave Tomokai a pointed stare, and also to protect us during our early days when our control our energy was unstable.

There wasn't a strict curfew – especially when we were "studying" at another congee's rooms particularly during examination season. There was a faint grin on her face as she said that she left it to our discretion what studying happened and what genders were involved. We would do well, however, to remember that we were congees-in-training and not here for fun and merrymaking. Noise and excessive partying was not tolerated.

As I listened to her description of the structure of the classes, I took interest in her reminder that the program could be accelerated, though it was rarely done. The first year was foundations and thus compulsory, but the second and third years could be compressed and the subjects could be completed by taking advantage of the winter breaks. Fourth years could then choose between apprenticing to one of the Advisors, getting experience according to their Guarantor's discretion, or some other part-time position at an institution of their choice whilst continuing their studies in a specialisation.

It was interesting to know, but I doubted I wanted to rush my experience at the Congregate. Besides, the fees were exorbitant due to the extra work for the Advisors and their assistants.

"Did you guys know, she was once the head of the bodyguards of the Communion?" Elora said in a hushed voice as we commenced the tour of the Faculty. "My Guarantor said that she was the only female in over a hundred years."

My eyes widened and slid over to the woman who was in deep conversation with Advisor Lokni and Tomokai. Her hair was streaked with grey. Huh. That explained the quiet forcefulness she possessed, then. I was impressed – I wondered if the other Advisors were equally accomplished.

Enki nodded, a faraway look coming to his eyes as he pushed the metal frame of his spectacles up the bridge of his nose. "You guys were probably too young back then, but back when I was a scruffy little kid, Madam Tethys was quite the figure. A lot of men were intimidated – or in love." Enki laughed, scratching the back of head. I had my suspicions as to which group he belonged.

Enki was a mature congee – having taken quite a number of non-Congregant jobs before deciding to apply for Supplicancy and entering the Congregate – this put him at about forty, twice Elora and my age.

The age difference did not stop our easy exchange as the Advisors took us on an abbreviated tour covering the main areas of the Faculty. The rest of the compound was too large to cover and they expected that we would get acquainted with the facilities on our own over the coming weeks.

The circuit ended at the private rooms, which were a short distance from the Grand Hall where we began. We took the stairs to the fifth floor, where all our rooms were. The hallway was already filled with our trunks.

The fourth, third and second floor were for the other years, and the first floor was reserved for Advisors, Assistants and visitors or congees who had trouble with stairs. The Advisors' and Assistants rooms had nameplates, so that congees could find them easily if any trouble arose.

"Alright, please take a look at your access discs and see who you'll be sharing a unit with. Unless you kill each other, you'll be stuck with them for the next four years, so play nice." Tomokai placed his hands on his hips and mock-glared at us. "Just insert the disc into the handle of your rooms and you should be able to enter. We'll leave you to sort out your affairs. If you need any help, we'll be in Advisor Lokni's rooms catching up." Tomokai's eyebrows waggled. Neewa, the man was impossible. Advisor Lokni pinched his forehead behind the younger man in exasperation.