Call me Tomo or Kai

"Are you alright?" someone asked, disrupting my reverie. I had taken to avoiding the Grand Hall during mealtimes, instead wandering the grounds of the Congregate. Sitting at the edge of the lake, I watched the mandarin ducks flocking around, chasing each other as it was mating season. Even the stupid little birds got more action than I did.

I turned to look at the owner of the voice and Aletheia looked at me curiously.

An easy smile pulled at my lips. "Why wouldn't I be?"

She bit her lip, chewing over some thought. "Did you and Advisor Lokni um- I mean, fall out?"

"Why do you ask that?" It hadn't been that  obvious right?

She lifted her shoulders in attempted nonchalence. "You don't have meals with him anymore. And Sento classes are a bit awkward when Sethina isn't there."

I snorted. Awkward was putting it lightly. Acting professionally in front of him was beyond difficult, and his sad, sorry eyes just made everything worse.

"Besides, the normal Tomokai wouldn't be moping at a lake by himself."

"I'm not moping," I said, leaning back on the grass, my elbows by the sides of my head. "I'm too cool to mope."

She wrinkled her nose, and I knew she didn't believe my lie. "Whatever you say, Tomokai."

"Call me Tomo or Kai."

She rolled her eyes. I had been trying to get her to address me casually over the past few months, but she was always so formal. Most congees didn't call me by my full name.

"Alright too-cool-to-mope Kai."

I smiled properly this time, probably the first in many weeks.

"So can Kai tell Theia what's wrong?" she asked, sitting down on the grass next to me.

"I broke up with my girlfriend," I said, plucking a blade of grass and letting the wind blow it away.

She looked confused. "You broke up with your girlfriend, so you're avoiding Advisor Lokni?"

Actually, I was avoiding Ramiel because I had broken up with Bronte after I realised I was just stringing her along as a substitute for him. She was a good girl, and I might have genuinely liked her if not for...

Anyway, I was avoiding Ramiel because I couldn't face his pity and apologetic glances, knowing that he knew I cared. But he would never return my feelings. I couldn't tell Theia that.

"I'm avoiding everyone. Playing the part of the heartbroken male lead," I said jokingly, placing the back of my hand on my forehead and pretending to swoon. Technically, I wasn't lying. Theia looked at me disbelievingly. I exhaled loudly.

"Ever liked someone you shouldn't?" I asked, staring at the ducks frolicking in the water.

She yanked on a blade of grass, nearly unrooting it whole, and nodded slightly.

"Then you know how I feel."

She laid back on the grass and exhaled loudly too. The two of us burst out into laughter.

~~~

The sparring class was due to start in ten minutes, and the previous disaster with Elora was still weighing heavily on my mind. I hadn't had the chance to warn Tomokai, who was still avoiding me at all costs. Mealtimes had become oddly quiet without his constant chatter.

Even after so long, Dione had managed yet again to disrupt my life. Though I supposed, if I were being honest, it was my own fault that things had gone awry. But there was little point thinking about such things. There were more pressing issues at hand.

Tethys and I agreed that it would be impossible to prove my theory with our limited knowledge, and we could not legitimately pull Elora out from the course. Neither could we remove balaka-sparring since it would be unfair to the other congees. The only solution then, was for me to keep a close eye on Elora and stop her if anything abnormal happened.

Before. Before anything abnormal happened.

On top of that, we would be getting all the congees to wear protective gear. Our explanation was that it would get them used to sparring in later years when energy was allowed. In reality, it was more for Aletheia's protection in case Elora could not control the energy.

A few congees started strolling in, and my heart sunk in disappointment. Usually, Tomo would be here before the congees, waiting to interact with the congees. He was really bent on avoiding me –

Then I saw him, walking into the class with his usual suave confidence. He strode straight up to me, an overly wide smile on his face. The stiff way he held himself spoke volumes about his actual state of mind. And he had not thrown an arm around me the way he usually would. "Good afternoon Ramiel. Beautiful day isn't it?"

I was too relieved to say anything except "Tomo", returning a smile of my own. His shoulders lost some of their tension.

~

A/N: Resolving the Tomokai/Ramiel tension... or am I?

Sorry for the super delayed update! Was having finals which are finally over woohey! Back to regularly updating.