Rou

We were almost six months through the term, which meant our two week term break was due. Truthfully, it was odd that it wasn't smack in the middle of the school term. Though, it did make some sense, since it gave us a bit of respite and time to re-group before the final revisions, tests, second Cermin viewing and streaming... which all took place in the last eight weeks of the term.

Ah yes, considering all the hustle waiting for us after the term break, it was logical.

Senno, Aletheia, focus on the class!

"... because of this, you realise that we usually find it easier to control Yin in the left side of our body, and Yang in the right side, which is what we have been doing so far. I'm sure you've already covered this in Theory," Advisor Maeve said, pointing to a body chart on the board. "However, it is possible to reverse the sides of control. It just requires more concentration, which is why many congees end up reverting to the natural ways."

Oh, that was new knowledge. So far I had only seen most instructors and congees use left for Yin and right for Yang. The thought that the opposite was possible had not even crossed my mind.

"Reversed manipulation can come in handy when your vital meridians in your left or right side have been blocked, or someone has chopped off a limb on one side..."

A few congees sniggered but I winced. Who was going to chop anyone's limb off in this day and age?

"Don't laugh. You'll be surprised to know it happens more often than not... violence has been on the rise, what with all the droughts and natural disasters and unhappiness. Healers, especially, find themselves in increasingly violent reactions from their patients. And Battalion recruits and bodyguards will similarly find themselves in dangerous riots and protests."

Advisor Maeve shook her head sadly, wisps of her greyish blonde hair coming undone from her tight bun. She pushed the thin, black, rectangular spectacles up the bridge of her nose. There were some things that even Yin healing could not yet fix easily, considering the eye was such a delicate structure.

"In the next few years, you will learn to further manipulate energy from other parts of your body. But none are as easy as using one of your hands. Pay close attention. This might save you in the future."

~

After three hours unlearning everything we had been doing for the past four and a half months, Advisor Maeve dismissed us with the instruction to practice the new skill since it was a cornerstone to our manipulation abilities. A migraine bloomed behind my brow bone from such intense concentration, and even Elora looked quite weary despite her exponential improvement since the start.

"I need another kafeh and some of the nasty tonic if I'm going to survive sparring," I said, rubbing my temples with the base of his palms. Really, the Advisors could have better coordinated their lessons.

"You guys need some?" I asked, looking at Xue and Elora

The girl covered a yawn with the back of her hand and shook her head. "I'm going to take a nap."

Xue wordlessly followed me to the Great Hall to pick up some of the stimulant, before we made out way to the Healing Ward. Just as we arrived, Rou pushed the doors open, and upon seeing us, frantically hid her hand behind her back. Two bright red spots appeared on her freckled cheeks.

"Hey Rou, here for the healing tonic too?" I asked, my eyes flitting to the hand she hid behind her back, wondering why she was so embarrassed over having to take the tonic.

She nodded, and then smiled, though it did not seem to quite reach her eyes. Training and the demanding workload was really taking a toll on all of us these days. "Yeah, I better get going, I've got something to check on. See you guys in class."

Xue watched the girl with thinned lips as she turned her back on us, quickly moving her hands in front of her as she walked away.

Perhaps he took more interest because Rou was somewhat of an anomaly among the congees, even more so than non-Supplicants. She was a Supplicant who had come from among the servants, as the bold mark on her hand told the world. Less well-to-do Supplicants were less common since most came from wealthy families with connections, or middle-class families of certain repute. Or well, just some idiot child with a family who had given in to her desperate desire to enter the Congregate. Ahem.

But for someone to have come from the servants was extremely rare. Most Guarantors would not trust servants to be capable Congregants. It was ridiculous, considering the fact that most helpers I had known were meticulous and caring to a fault.

How many hidden talents were there that would never be found? Just because they couldn't afford the education, had much fewer opportunities, or lacked the relations to secure a Supplicancy?

Though perhaps the poorer groups had more pressing issues to deal with at hand, like putting food on the table or securing a better paying job. I mentioned it to Elora, who told me honestly that I was either going to have to stop and come to terms with it, or do something about it. Three points to hypocrite Theia, null to idealist Theia.

Anyway, I digress. Rou seemed like a nice girl, though quiet. In fact, come to think of it... she was rather quieter than usual recently. I couldn't recall the last time she spent time with her usual company of Juno and the others. Perhaps Enki might know something...

Argh but my head was hurting too much to think about it further.

~~~

A/N: Trying to illustrate a bit of the social hierarchy in this world... Also... I wonder what Rou was hiding?