Dione

Another few weeks passed in a blur of mind-numbing theory and exhausting Sento and manipulation techniques. Aaryan finally invited us to Sento group teachings on an Earth-day night. Before that however, the Congregate had organised a career planning exhibition for the non-Supplicants, as well as the third-year Supplicants who were looking for their fourth year work experiences. I was eager to see what options there were. The fact that I was a non-Supplicant still made me feel on tenterhooks whenever I thought about it. Graduation was still three years away... but it never hurt to plan in advance.

It was going to be a long day.

"Are you sure?" I asked for what must be the hundredth time that day. Elora had offered to accompany me on the exhibition, though she had no reason to be there. Xue, for reasons I could not comprehend, had decided that he was not going.

"Oh, shush you. I want to see what's going on anyway!" Elora said, her hands on her hips. But I suspected she also wanted to help me keep an eye out for jobs and opportunities.

We spent the day strolling through the various booths. Even though it was supposed to also be for non-Supplicants, I ended up seeing many Supplicant-providers there. The exhibition was for the entire Congregate, so it was quite a large event held in the great court that we had arrived in on our first day.

The weather was horrid, and the sun blazed down on us. By the end of it all, I was sweating, smelly and still none the wiser of what my options were. The demand for Yin Congregants had been steadily declining, especially...

I sat heavily in our sofa and sighed.

Elora smiled encouragingly, "Don't worry, everything will figure itself out. You have some time to plan."

Twisting my lips doubtfully, I took a swig of a brew that some brewing company had given out for free. Their representative, some lady named Diane? Dione?, had explained that they were seeking congees for their research and development team, as well as some healers to make sure their products worked the way they intended. The drink was supposed to be cooling, and it seemed to work. Or perhaps it was just because I was finally hydrating myself with a cold drink.

I sighed again, and Elora gave me an exasperated look.

"Just letting air out from my lungs," I said, smirking.

She rolled her eyes. "Don't worry your little head too much. I'm going to shower."

I set the can down on the table. Not worrying? I scoffed. I think I might die before that happened.

~~~

Ramiel stood alone, observing the clearing up of the exhibition. I swear, if not for me, the man would be an entirely solitary character. Well, perhaps other than talking to Advisor Tethys, but that didn't really count. She was a motherly figure to all the younger staff.

Most of the other Advisors had their own family, or caught up with each other outside of mealtimes in their private rooms. After all, they did not want congees gossiping over their relations.

Ramiel was the only one who, though he held the respect of everyone despite his relatively young age as an advisor, did not bother interacting very much. Some thought he was standoffish, but I knew better. He was just so reserved - or dare I say it, shy - that he found it difficult to make friends. Those who did know him, however, would realise that he cared for them in his own, quiet way. Ramiel never forgot a birthday or any small detail in a casual conversation weeks ago. He remembered how you took your kafeh or your favourite dessert. The man was a gem, but by Neewa, bless his socially inept heart.

I shook my head, laughing at the picture I had painted of him in my head. Ramiel would never...

I slipped next to him, giving him my typical care-free smile, slinging my arm around his shoulders. "Afternoon, Rami."