Hidden Truths

I rubbed my forehead. My quest for more information in the library was getting me nowhere. If anything, I had more questions than ever. 'Brewing for Congees' and 'Herbal Foundations' had only told me that balaka was meant to block yin and yang – and reiki for that matter. Balaka that was past its use-by date would only partially block the usage. It did not block usage for a while and then return it, like what had happened with Elora.

By all logical reasoning, the incident with Elora was simply impossible. I huffed, and shut the book I was holding with a snap. Sometimes, I wondered if the Congregate only stored books with insufficient or incomplete information on purpose. Maybe they didn't want congees with silly ideas getting their hands on too much knowledge which could be dangerous.

My reading up on reiki had not been productive either, since I started those many weeks ago after the first Cermin viewing. Books on reiki were practically non-existent, and reiki was often only mentioned in passing with relation to Yin and Yang. So far, I had only gotten little more information during our Yin and Yang manipulation and History classes. Apparently, reiki was basically our life-force, and flowed in and between our chakra points. Reiki split to form Yin and Yang, which flowed freely in our meridians and could be manipulated easily.

It had been banned just over two decades ago and all knowledge of reiki manipulation and their abilities in the Congregate had been destroyed when a group of Congregants had started killing non-Congregants using some unknown skill. They had been part of some extremist group that was trying to install a new order where Congregants and reiki users reigned supreme. It was quickly nipped in the bud, since reiki users were relatively few. But a significant number of lives were lost, considering how few the reiki users were. After the bloodbath, the Communion and Battalion had argued that since there were so few reiki users, there was no harm in banning the use of reiki. The fearful Yin and Yang Congregants and non-Congregants had acquiesced readily.

The Communion passed the decree that remaining reiki users were either exiled if innocent, or executed if guilty by association, and from then, reiki knowledge was no longer taught. I bitterly thought that Yang extremists were going down the same path, but Yang users were just too numerous to be dealt with like reiki users.

Looking at the large clock on the wall, I noticed that it was time to meet Elora, who had gone back to our rooms for a nap after our Yin and Yang manipulation class. She had far less trouble with manipulation today and had done everything almost effortlessly and almost better than I did.

Perhaps it had something to do with the balaka incident?

I sighed. I was sure I would soon have to work harder to keep up with Elora now. It was futile, this chasing, but I feared that if I did not try, I would be left behind. It was a rat race, and I was just another little rat spinning the wheel endlessly.

~

We were seated on the table furthest away from the Advisor's table. I was studying Advisor Lokni conversing with Tomokai, or rather, it was more like Tomokai excitedly talking about some subject while Advisor Lokni smiled and nodded. I thought about his unsatisfactory explanation, and wondered about the true extent of his capabilities. The man stiffened and looked up from today's meal of chicken noodles. I glanced away.

"Do you think Tomokai and Advisor Lokni are together?" I asked casually in a quiet voice, sipping on my second cup of kafeh of the day.

Elora nearly spit out the joohoa tea she was drinking, but forced herself to swallow it. She barely did and started choking slightly. I patted her back. Well, I didn't expect that reaction.

"Finn mentioned that he's dating a third year congee in the Arts Faculty," Xue said, poking his fork into his bowl of noodles.

"Oh. Male?" I asked, curiously.

"Female. But I wouldn't be surprised if... you know, he was dipping his hands in both Yin and Yang," Xue said nonchalantly.

"Ha, and you would know that from your book "The Yin to your Yang", wouldn't you?" I sniggered. Xue shot me a dirty look.

Tomokai's preferences were no longer something that would cause one to be thrown into a river, tied up in a bamboo cage but it was a stretch to say that everyone accepted it.

Elora finally recovered enough to start talking, "Not that I have anything against it, but why would you suddenly say that Theia?"

I shrugged, continuing in a muted tone. "They are the only teaching staff that hang out much in public. Tomokai's always been quite affectionate with Advisor Lokni in particular. He's always extra happy when Advisor Lokni is around. And he always teases him. But well, if he's attached..."

It wasn't any particular thing I could concretely put into words. It was just the way Tomokai's glances lingered a tad too long on Advisor Lokni, how he seemed to seek Advisor Lokni out instinctively during every Sento class, how he touched the older man much more often than necessary and how he leaned closer every time he talked to the Sento master. I supposed it was quite... cute? I shook my head. Senno, cute? The stern advisor would kick my head off if he knew what I thought.

Elora cringed. "But Tomokai's friendly with everyone!"

I hummed my agreement. "Just a feeling."

"I have nothing against it though! Just... thinking about Advisor Lokni that way is a bit strange. He's seems so... I mean, it's hard to imagine he's interested in anyone, really."

I tapped my finger against the side of my face. I guess students seldom considered the proclivities of authority figures.

The two men in question stood up from their tables and left, Tomokai smiling as he drifted closer to Advisor Lokni and slung his arm comfortably around the Advisor, as his other hand fluttered about, elaborating some point he must be making. I narrowed my eyes.

Elora held her head in her hands, screwing her eyes closed. "Now I won't be able to stop thinking weird things."

Xue laughed, a rare, rusty sound. "Better get a grip Elora, don't start blushing during Sento."

~

"Aletheia, I hope Elora has explained my oversight. I haven't gotten the chance to apologise personally the past two days." Advisor Lokni approached me at the display of ranged weapons. "I am truly sorry for what happened, and will take full responsibility." His face was solemn.

"Sir, there is no need. Neither my parents nor I will pursue the matter further," I said, turning to face him. Advisor Lokni relaxed minutely and nodded. His lips curled into a wry grin.

"Seriously, am I that old?" He sighed under his breath. I doubted I was supposed to hear that. Oops. He cleared his voice and asked another question. "Did the healer say you are well enough to attend classes again?" 

I rubbed my thumbs. "Erm yeah..."

Advisor Lokni glanced at my thumbs, before narrowing his eyes at my carefully neutral expression. "See that you don't overwork yourself."

Resisting the urge to shove my hands in my pockets, I nodded in agreement. There were no more lingering aches or tiredness, I would be fine.

"Thank you for your understanding Aletheia. I will not let it happen again," he promised formally, before giving me a slight bow which I returned.

I yearned to ask him about the healing he had done the other day and the mind art he had done. And also badger him about what I had found out about the balaka. A man of his training and knowledge would not make such a mistake. What was he hiding?

But I was not so daring. So I said nothing, and turned back to the weapons, picking up a bow.

~~~

A/N: A shorter update this time: how are you liking the story so far? Please vote and comment, it means a lot to know what you think about anything! :)