Prophecies

There was still some time to kill before the dreaded Senno meeting - I really wonder what went through Xue's head. Most of my work was already completed, but there were still a few items...

No, I wasn't in the mood for all that. I dug around in my drawers, looking for something to entertain myself with since Elora was out catching up with Gwen. At the bottom of my drawer was the black book I had stowed there since the start of the term. The one that Suren had given to me. It probably wouldn't hurt to read some Scripture if tonight was going to be about Senno...

I pursed my lips. Alicanto be damned, it wasn't going to bite. Perhaps I might even understand Elora's faith more.

Most of the preaching was what I already knew from Aunt Pora and Suren's conversations, and I flipped through the book speedily until I came to a section named "Vaticinium". It was a whole part filled with a compilation of predictions - if it could be called that.

Some of them were hilarious – they suggested that cows would drop out of the sky before exploding to punish corrupted souls. Others were like conspiracy theories, suggesting the world was star-shaped, and yin and yang were figments of our imagination. I wondered what kind of herbs they had been smoking. 

A few, however, hit a little too close to home for comfort.

One stood out in particular, written by Earlen Shin. He foretold that the time would come where people would fight over Yin and Yang, and the world would be ravaged by droughts and wildfires; floods and heavy storms. But there would be a day where one favoured by Senno, who could use yoki would be born, and they would be the balance – the Statera – who restored peace to the world.

Earlen Shin... that name looked familiar. I rummaged through my notes from various classes, and finally found the name in the History papers.

He was the originator of Yin and Yang manipulation and had been able to use reiki as well. He was also the father of Pysia Shin, the founder of the Congregate. It was unknown if the rumours that he could use Yoki was true.

Yoki was the natural elemental energy from our surroundings before it split into natural Yin and Yang. There were far greater quantities of Yoki than Yin and Yang but Congregants could only use the split form. It seemed that he was not just important to the Yin-Yang community, but to the religious one as well.

The eery similarities of his prediction to our current situation disturbed me more than I liked.

Could everything really hang in balance of one person? Who was this person? Did they come into the world glowing and acknowledged by everyone? Or were they inconspicuous and quietly existed, waiting to be found? Would they know they were Statera? Would anyone know?

The front door slammed shut and jolted me out of my contemplation. 

"Theia?" Elora called out.

The clock on my table informed me that I had spent two whole hours reading the Scripture and we had only a few minutes to get to the Senno meeting. I shook my head, unable to believe I had not only read, but truly considered the words contained within. Suren would be so pleased if she knew. 

As I responded to Elora, I grabbed a scrap piece of paper and wedged it between the pages that immortalized Earlen Shin's prophecy. I shoved the book back into my drawer where it would sit for several more months, collecting dust. 

I was not sure why I bookmarked the page.

A/N: Really short update! But I think this functions well as a stand-alone chapter. I know the prophecy cliche is very well over-used but let's just see how this goes!