New Alliances

Ass I strolled down the hallways to get breakfast, I thought about the previous night. Elora had come out to find me (Advisor Lokni had left after assuring himself that I was fine) and surprisingly, had apologised. She said that Aaryan could take his nonsense and stuff it. Apparently, he had said some rather disparaging things about people with Yin Affinities which had rubbed Elora the wrong way.

I apologised awkwardly for losing my temper, unable to meet her gaze. But Elora just smiled and thrown an arm around my shoulder. I wasn't sure I deserved such easy forgiveness. Oh well, enough of that.

It was a nice day out and I wanted to work on some of the Sento foundations in the training room. Elora was sleeping in and would join me for lunch before she met her Guarantor later that day. She didn't really need the extra practice anyway.

Xue appeared at the table shortly after I settled down.

"Oh hi!" I said with surprise. It was only seven in the morning after all, and I had not expected any other congees to be awake. Though Advisor Tethys was currently writing letters at the middle table over a bowl of... Of something.

"What are you doing awake so early?" I asked.

The white-haired boy shrugged. "Just this and that."

It was an evasive answer, but I supposed he had just woken up and wasn't in a mood for idle conversation. Besides, I wasn't sure I'd just tell anyone what I was up to for the day either.

Watching the meek woman bow and retreat after serving our meal, I idly commented, "Don't you ever wonder about how we treat the helpers?"

Xue glanced over at her retreating shadow. "What about it?"

"Well... we aren't living in ancient times anymore... shouldn't we stop calling them servants? And give them more respect? I mean, Senno, we even mark them. It's rather... archaic?"

Xue looked at me with a mocking smile on his face. "What are you, an idealist?"

I shook my head ruefully. "Truthfully, no. There are too many things in this world that I will probably never lift a hand to change. I probably wouldn't even riot for changes in the helper's lives. Hah, I guess that makes me a hypocrite."

Xue said nothing, his head bowed over his porridge as he ate robotically. We finished the rest of the meal in silence, as he seemed reluctant to engage in further conversation. He muttered his usual thanks to the helpers.

"I'm headed to the training area," he said, standing abruptly.

"Oh, I-" I started, wanting to mention that I was also headed there. But he was already gone, his strides long and quick, taking him far away from me though he was shorter.

Had I said something to offend him? I hoped not. I thought we had formed something of a tentative friendship after the library. I gnawed on my bottom lip.

I took my time making my way over to the training grounds as my breakfast digested. When I reached the training room, Xue had already worked up a sweat, and was executing some impressive forms that looked like a cross between the cha'anko and ta'aeci demonstrations. He did not have Tomokai's speed and power, nor Advisor Lokni's grace, but it was still a sight to behold.

As focussed as he was in his practice, he did not notice me watching him with awe. Senno, I wanted to be able to do that one day too.

Abruptly, he stopped, apparently sensing my presence as he whirled to face me, his face tense, his body in a combative posture.

I held my hands up and he dropped his defensive stance, though he still held his body in a tense, erect posture.

"Woah, did you learn that back in Gurnie? Did your parents send you for private classes?" I asked, forgetting his earlier reticence.

He seemed to flinch slightly at the mention of his parents.

"I had a Sento instructor teach me the basics."

"Could you teach me? I mean I understand if you wouldn't, but its just that, you looked amazing and I rea-"

"Neewa, Theia. Just shut up. What do you want to learn?" he said exasperatedly.

My eyes lit up, "Just some tips and pointers on basic forms for a start? Then you can continue your own training, I don't want to bother you too much."

He grunted.

Though I had only hoped for some feedback, we ended up spending the rest of the morning working through a series of forms, even going through some that Advisor Lokni had not taught.

Why had his parents had found it necessary to tutor him in Sento? Maybe he had tuition in other subjects as well? Did he intend to accelerate second and third year? From what I gathered, he did not seem to be a Supplicant. I wondered what he planned to stream in.

As we worked through the moves, some of his unpleasant mood seemed to lift.

Noon approached while we worked through the many sequences, and my stomach started to grumble with increasing frequently, until I could not ignore it anymore. Xue seemed content to continue working his frustrations off.

"Alright, I can't do this anymore, I'm starving. Thanks for the training though, it was great and I learned a lot," I said with a grateful smile. "Anyway, I think Elora will probably be up by now for the noonmeal. Do you want to join us?"

The white-haired boy contemplated it for a moment, his dark eyes narrowed in concentration. "Okay. Let's go wash up and I'll meet you at the Hall."

We walked back to our rooms, and I cautiously asked him about what he had tutoring for, and his future prospects. Surprisingly, he answered most of my questions readily. His parents had been very supportive and hired an instructor that had taught him Sento as well as foundational Yin and Yang concepts. He hoped to study Yin and Mindarts, and get a job in the Battalion as an interrogator.

I suddenly remembered our first conversation with a jolt.

"Why did you pretend to not know much about Yin and Yang on the first day we met?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Er... I didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to myself," He said, his face unreadable. "I don't want people thinking I'm some snobby kid. Anyway. Don't tell anyone about what I have taught you so far. Not even Elora."

I supposed that was fair, one never knew if attention was a good thing. I nodded at him, and smiled, while miming that I was zipping my lips close.

"Well this is me. See you later Theia. Hello Elora," Xue said nodding at Elora, before swiping his access disc and entering his room (zero-five-zero-four).

I looked down the hall to see Elora's head sticking out of our rooms, a mischievous smile on her face, her eyebrows waggling cheekily.

I walked to our rooms, pretending to frown as I fought to keep a blush off my face. Really, Xue was just helping me with Sento. There wasn't anything going on.

"Had fun?" she asked, sniggering.

"I know what you're thinking. Get your mind out of the gutter," I said rolling my eyes.

"Can you blame me? You'd be interested too if I came home with a guy, looking all hot and bothered," she said, teasing.

I scowled and pushed her gently into the room. "We were just practicing some Sento stuff. We're just friends."

"Everybody starts off as friends," she said in a sing-song voice, dancing around me.

I sighed, rolling my eyes again. "Yeah, sure. What about me and you then?"

"Don't worry, I know I'm not your type." She winked before pushing me towards my room.

"Alright, go shower. I bet you've invited Xue to join us for lunch. We don't want him waiting too long."

~~~
A/N : Do remember to vote and comment anything at all if you are enjoying the story/have any questions!