Morrigan and Samsot

A few more weeks passed, and we were more frequently joined by Xue, while Enki started to split his time between us and the other congees more. Occasionally, the four of us – Elora, Enki, Xue and I – met up during mealtimes. Enki was, however, a social butterfly who socialised with many other people. His age and experience made him less reserved, I supposed.

Most of the time, Elora and I went everywhere together, and Enki joined us occasionally while Xue kept to himself most of the time. However, I could tell that Xue and Elora were slowly bonding over some shared interest of origami, the two of them discussing certain folding patterns that I had no idea what in Senno's name it was about.

To say I occasionally felt left out during their animated discussions was an understatement – well as much as Xue could be animated, anyway. There was nothing to do except watch as they bowed their heads over some intricate project. I even tried reading a book on origami to understand their passion, but fell asleep over the book several times.

I shook my head – there were more important things to be worrying about. Aaryan and a few fourth year congees had been pestering some of the fourth year Yin congees, and it was slowly escalating from offhand comments to verbal insults. It had only gotten worse since Elora turned down his initial, and subsequent repeated offers to join his Senno teachings.

It was the Wood-day of the fourth week and all the advisors were having a meeting, so the Grand Hall was Advisor-free. Which meant that Aaryan was currently picking a fight with one of the more outspoken Yin congees. The two of them stood next to the middle table, and their argument was heard by everyone even without amplification. The four of us were seated just a few meters away from the conflict.

The girl was young, probably the same age or just a year or two older than me, but her confidence shone from her proud posture and an unflappable expression. Gwen had told Elora, who had in turn, told me, that the girl was named Morrigan, and was an exceptionally talented Yin user, especially proficient in mind techniques. She stood her ground, her arms folded across her chest as she faced Aaryan off. I wondered if I'd ever be brave enough to stand up for Yin as she did.

"You know clearly that Yang needs Yin, and vice versa to thrive. We learnt that in our first year. So why are you spreading such baseless accusations?" Her voice was calm, persuasive. "Aaryan, what happened to you? You weren't like this before. We are friends, all of us." She unfolded her arms to lightly touch Aaryan's forearm.

Something changed slightly in the atmosphere, as if it was charged. Xue gripped the edge of the table tightly, focussing intently on the stand-off. Elora watched on with concern, grinding her teeth.

Aaryan was confused and his bright eyes slightly unfocussed and misty, a far cry from his usual keen expression. Then, he suddenly sobered. He snarled.

"How dare you? You corrupted soul, how dare you use your filthy energy on me!" He roared, a vein bursting at his temple as he flung his right hand out toward Morrigan. She flinched, taking several steps back hastily.

I could feel the energy collect before it even materialised, but he was shaping it into a corporeal, white sphere of condensed energy. Elora and I gasped. From our theory lessons, we knew that was powerful Yang manipulation. Energy was usually unembodied and did not have substance. To be able to pack it dense enough that it had a solid form meant an incredible amount of control and stamina.

But what could we do? We hardly knew any defence. My heart raced, were we about to witness an assault and not do anything?

Then, he released it at her. Oh Ryo's flaming – shit!

It happened too quickly that Morrigan could not run away. Instead she closed her eyes and braced her arms in front of her. The whole hall held its breath, waiting for the impact.