Should I choose Yin or Yang?

"Goodnight, Tethys." I said, closing the door behind me. I exhaled, thinking about what Tethys had told me.

"I have been corresponding with the Alicanto," she had said without preamble.

How? Why?

The five members of the Communion had just been newly elected two years ago, and were expected to hold office for ten years. That is, unless something happened to them.

Out of the five, only the Alicanto had some Yin background. Then again, Yin and Yang training was very basic in the Politics faculty. After all, they only needed to know the minimum to be able to understand the Congregants and non-Congregants to make decisions for both sides.

"He was a fellow Yin Congregant in my graduating batch. Though, he was in the Politics Faculty. If all goes well, he will still be the Alicanto when Elora graduates." She shuffled a few letters on her desk.

"She is to be his bodyguard. I have requested for his permission to accelerate her studies. If what you say is true, I believe it is important that she is trained and operationally ready as soon as possible. Who knows if someone might try to..." She shook her head. "We need Elora to protect the Alicanto and remaining Yin Congregants at the Communion."

I ran my thumb over my lip, then bit it unconsciously. "If you recall, nothing happened in the second sparring trials. She might not be..."

"Whatever it is, we cannot take the chances. Even if she is not, her raw strength is second only to Aaryan among the congees. She only lacks experience. If Uthyr gets his hands on her..." She trailed off, her mouth set in a grim line. "What about Aletheia's progress?"

"Other than the incident, she seems to be improving quite rapidly as well. And her Yin affinity only seems to be growing stronger." I recalled the chilly nature of her energy. It had been intensifying before the sparring, but since then, it seemed to have stopped.

"Do you think she will be able to handle an accelerated course with Elora? Having a close friend that is strongly Yin will ensure Elora remains sympathetic to Yin congregants."

My nails cut into my palm, and I forced myself to relax my forearm muscles. Tethys never forgot her strategic planning from her days as a bodyguard. Was it worth it? Gambling Aletheia's future for the hope that Elora...

"I believe she is talented. But her coping ability..." I thought of her breakdown. Then remembered her plea to continue with sparring. Perhaps she would be able to cope.

"It is decided then. We need more strong Yin congees anyway. The numbers are dropping rapidly. We must get whatever possible support we can."

"You will train them in Sento throughout the winter, make them trust you and your judgement."

I had nodded, unable to say anything. What was there to say? Tethys had made up her mind.

My hands balled into fists again, as I recalled the earlier conversation, and I slowly released them. Were they just chess pieces on a board? Yet times were changing. Was there any other choice?

I passed by the training facility to pick up the towel I had forgotten after the morning training session with Tomokai. The boy – man – was still forcing his cheerfulness and confidence around me, but it was getting better. I didn't dare to say anything else in fear that he might withdraw again.

Sliding the door open, I headed straight for the weapons rack where I had left the towel. I threw it over my back, and turned to leave when I heard noises from the locker room. Instinctively, I grabbed hold of a staff slotted into the weapon rack. Standing still, I gathered Yin energy around my eardrums. I released my grip at the sound of sobbing.