Dancing With Death

Before the golden doors had even opened to reveal the banquet, the music fills the air without effort, just like how the crimson floods both of our features, as Kylo and I are still slightly tipsy on the elation that Ruby had plucked us out of before we could even submerge. 

"Shoulders up, Princess." Ruby marks me out just before she opens the doors, uncaring of Kylo's brooding presence at my side. 

The music floods in and smacks against us harshly as I am met with the scene. There's an ever-present rushing of glee that surrounds the hall and many react to Kylo and I's arrival, by smiling and even extending their hands for firm shakes, but Kylo doesn't bother to even spare the guests a second glance, as I only merely wave to the strangers.

The intensity of the banquet to my nerves was as if liquid adrenaline had been injected right into my blood stream and I soon forget about my previous power-switch over Kylo Ren, as I begin to cower behind him, but Ruby only tugs me back into the centre of everyones hazy eyes with a tight grip around my wrist. 

It was as if the sea of the crowd had separated for our path, almost shining a metaphorical beacon for all of Jorkhan's elite to view our presence, the Princess and the future King, who would replace the old and haggard one who sat by his Brother on the high-table, as drunk as anything. 

The resemblance to this banquet and the one that celebrated the return of Prince Dayvis, who I hadn't yet spotted anywhere in here, was like turning back the clock. A master of the spinning reversal of time to throw me back to a previous night of agony and trepidation. On that night, the music sounded just the same as tonight's, and it only sung to my frizzling anxiety as I remembered what had happened that night, when Prince Dayvis pointed a knife to my heart.

I hope that Prince Dayvis is already too drunk and had been taken back to his quarters, or that he just won't show up at all – There's nothing I need more than to not have him around me. 

Our entry flowed with a dazzling grace that took away the breath of every person in our audience. In the sudden glimpse of epiphany, I couldn't tell if it was the serve of adoration or the dawning oppression that danced in the people's eyes as they stared to the dark and dangerous man by my side – But either one of those options, cannot ensure a greatness to come.

Finally reaching the stairs to the high-table, I glance away when I make heavy eye contact with the King, who stares through his wine glass. Kylo takes the lead quickly, using his long legs to mount the stairs and stride off to the men of The First Order, who looked like they wanted to be there as much as Kylo did, with their empty faces of misery, as they each watched the crowd as if their happiness was their enemy.  

Ruby leans down to whisper something into my ear curtly, "The partnered dance is coming up later and it is expected that you and Kylo will lead it, due to this being your formal banquet."

"You didn't think to tell me this sooner?" I snap, keeping my voice in a hushed and dangerous tone but masking it in a bright smile for the intoxicated people that surround us as we make our way to our seats, "I don't even know how to dance, why haven't you taught me?"

Ruby pinches my arm as she loops it into the crook of her own, sparing her greetings to the public with her best-friend by her side. "Everyone is too drunk to notice if you have two left feet or not." She grits through her teeth, "Besides, the male is always in the lead."

The rest of the banquet was sipped quickly away, just like my two glasses of wine, which Ruby was clearly observing after recalling how intoxicated I had become last time. 

If the dread and fear weren't so strong in my stomach as I tried to swallow the meal placed in front of me, this sight below would be something from a mystical dream and I can clearly picture myself waking up any moment now, with a starving stomach and a dirty home surrounding me. The banquet celebrating the Princess' birthday was the most delightful dance of graceful ball gowns, tailored suits and marvellous cheers. It was a pleasant atmosphere to be surrounded by, if you weren't the main attraction, I suppose.