Chapter 59 - 🖤

•Damon's POV ~

After, Tiffany, told me that, Ava, was waiting for me at the gate, I got up from my chair and made my way outside.

"I'm sorry, boss. I didn't know if you knew her or not." Mark tells me, as I approach them.

Ava has her hands up in the air, while Mark is pointing his gun at her. The look on her face has me clenching my fists.

"Put your fucking gun away, NOW!" I yell, causing him to immediately put it away. "I don't ever want to see any of you pointing a gun at her!"

Ava quickly runs up to me and wraps her arms around my waist. I return the hug, holding her tightly against me.

"What's wrong, Ava?" I ask, rubbing her arm in a comforting manner.

She pulls away and crosses her arms over her chest nervously, "I need to talk to you about something."

I nod my head towards the house and grab her hand, "Come on. We'll talk inside of my office."

Once we get inside, we make our way to my office, but stop short when someone coughs. Turning around, I come face to face with, Roxie.

"What's going on?" She asks, while looking between the both of us.

"Ava wanted to talk to me about something, so I was going to talk to her in my office." I tell her, truthfully.

She nods her head as her eyes roam down, and it's only then that I remember, I'm still holding onto Ava's hand. I quickly remove my hand from hers and look into Roxie's eyes, only to see tears forming.

I feel a pain in my chest and I know that she got the wrong idea. Anyone would get the wrong idea if they saw us and that's my fault, because I'm the one who hid, Ava from them all. Nobody in my family knew about her except for me.

"Well, I'll let you two talk then." She gives us a smile, and blinks away her tears. "Please, don't let me interrupt you."

Without another word, she walks past us with her head held high.

"Shit." I mumble, before turning to, Ava, who has an apologetic look on her face. "Stay here. I'll be right back."

Not waiting for her response, I follow after, Roxie, with quick strides. It doesn't take me long to catch up to her and when I do, I grab her hand and pull her with me to my office.

Once we're inside, I lock my door and pull her close to me, "Baby, you don't have anything to worry about. I told you that she's just a friend."

Roxie stays silent for a few seconds before looking up, "What's your history with her?"

I release a sigh before answering her, "A few years ago, I bumped into her on my way to a meeting. Her hair was all messed up and she was so skinny that she looked as if her bones would break with the slightest bend. Herself and her clothes were dirty, she had no shoes on and she had cuts and bruises all over her body. I ignored her and just went on to my meeting. A few days later, my men and I were dealing with some business in an empty alley... or so we thought. Turns out, that alley was the same alley that, Ava, was sleeping in."

Roxie rubs the back of her neck before walking over to my office couch and taking a seat. I follow shortly after, sitting down beside her.

"She had seen what we did in that alley, so I had no choice but to kill her. Ava didn't even flinch when I pointed the gun at her. Instead, she walked up to me, put her forehead against the barrel of my gun and told me to pull the trigger. I was amazed by how she didn't have the tiniest hint of fear in her eyes. She wanted me to shoot her and end her life, which made me question everything that happened to her. I don't know why I did it, but I let her live." I run a hand down my face tiredly and look at, Roxie. "Long story short, I did everything I could to help her get back on her feet. It was hard, I'm not going to lie, but eventually, she got better. She ended up getting a business opportunity somewhere else, and a few days after she left, we lost contact with each other. When I saw her yesterday, I was surprised. I just didn't hug her back or anything, because I didn't want you to get the wrong idea."