Chapter 63 - 🖤

•Damon's POV ~

There's silence on the other end of the line until I speak up again, "Ava, I haven't heard from you since you left to, London. You told me that you were going to stay in touch this time."

She breaths out a sigh, "Yeah, I'm sorry. I was spending time with my son. At first, his father didn't allow me to see him but I eventually convinced him."

"He didn't allow you to see your own son?" I question, getting annoyed. "Do I need to have a word with him?"

"No, it's okay." She says, with a laugh.

"So, when are you coming back to, New York? I want to meet this son of yours." I announce, as I start pulling on my shirt.

She hesitates for a moment before responding, "I- I don't know, Damon."

The tone of her voice causes me to stop what I'm doing, "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." She clears her throat. "I told my son about you. I'd really like for him to meet you, Damon. Maybe not right now. I know how busy you are with your family, but maybe sometime in the future."

"Yeah, of course. I'll have to talk to, Roxie, about us taking a trip to, London." I tell her, a small smile making its way to my face.

She's silent for a few short seconds before she says, "You know, I'm really happy that you met her. She seems like an amazing woman."

"She is." I say, smiling at the thought of, Roxie.

"Damon?" Ava calls out, her voice barely above a whisper.

I run my fingers through my hair with a sigh, "Yeah?"

"Thank you for always being there for me when we met. You didn't have to help me but you did, despite how I acted back then." Her voice cracks and I hear her take a deep breath. "I just want you to know that I'm extremely grateful for you." She pauses before continuing. "Can you do me a favor?"

I furrow my brows at what she's saying to me but answer her anyways, "Yeah, anything."

She starts coughing before clearing her throat, "Don't let your wife go. In the years that I've known you, I've never seen you as happy as you are when you're with her. Even though I only saw you together for a few short minutes, I could tell... she's something special."

I blink a couple of times in confusion, "What are you talking about? Are you okay?"

Instead of answering my questions, she continues, "I didn't believe in love and happiness before, but seeing you with her, I think I'm starting to believe it. You're the only family I have, Damon."

There's a loud bang on her side of the line and I hear her gasp, "What was that?"

"It was... it was just my son." She speaks in a low voice. "He dropped something."

Why don't I believe that?

"Av-" I start, but she cuts off what I was going to say.

"Sorry, Damon. I have to go." She says, in a rushed tone. "Look, I need to get a new phone because this one is a little messed up. When I do, I'll call you back, okay?"

I was about to say something else but she hung up before I could. Why did a part of what she told me sound so much like a goodbye? Before I could call her back to get some answers, someone knocks on my door.

I walk over to the door and open it, coming face to face with, Charlotte.

"Hey, he's ready for us. Are you done?" She asks, leaning against the door frame.