Things Didn't Go Exactly As Planned

Te Ka threw several fireballs at Maui, who dodged them all and flew closer to the island. Te Ka knocked him out of the sky and he fell turning back to Maui.

"Maui!" The teens yelled anxiously.

Mohan pushed the boat forward. Maui picked up the heart and his hook, turning into his hawk form ready to fly again, but Te Ka smacked him again making him fall into the water. He shape shifted into a fish and then climbed back into the boat. Te Ka tried to go forward but shrieked when her hand got into the water. Mohan noticed and looked for an opening, then began steering the boat towards it.

"What are you doing?" Maui asked out of breath.

"Finding you a better way in." Mohan replied, his eyes furrowed in determination.

Maui looked up to see Te Ka had noticed where they were heading and was moving towards it.

"We won't make it!" Maui said.

"Yes we will!" Mohan said stubbornly.

"Mohan turn around!" [Y/n] also yelled when she saw that their chances were very slim.

"No!" Mohan shouted.

"Mohan stop!" Maui screamed.

"No!"

[Y/n] caught Te Ka prepping to attack.

"Mohan!" She yelled and pushed the boy out of the way as Maui blocked the attack with his hook, causing their boat to fly backwards.

                ******************

Mohan checked on Heihei and then turned to Maui who had his back to him, cradling his hook.

"Are you okay? Maui?" Mohan asked cautiously. Maui turned to reveal a crack in his hook. Mohan gasped softly.

"I told you to turn back. [Y/n] and I told you to turn back." Maui said horsely.

"I thought we could make it." Mohan said.

"We?" Maui asked angrily.

"I thought I could make it." Mohan said softly. "We can fix it." Mohan said eyes lighting up with hope.

"It was made by the gods. You can't fix it." Maui stated firmly.

"Next time I'll be more careful. Te Ka was stuck on the barrier islands. It's lava, it can't go in the water. We can find a way around."

"I'm not going back." Mohan looked up to him shocked.

"What? We still have to restore the heart."

"My hook is cracked. One more hit and it's over."

"Maui you have to restore the heart."

"Without my hook, I am nothing."

"That's not true."

"Without my hook, I am nothing!" Maui yelled.

He dropped the heart in front of Mohan and walked to the edge of the boat. Mohan picked it up then looked up angrily.

"We're only here because you stole the heart in the first place."

"No, we're here because the ocean told you that you were special and you believed it." Maui shot back.

"Mohan." A voice whispered softly and both he and Maui turned to see [Y/n] cradling her shoulder blade.

She had been watching the two argue in silence, but she couldn't stand the pain anymore.

"[Y/n], what's wrong? You look pale." Mohan asked worriedly.

[Y/n] swayed and Mohan ran over to her and caught her. Then he removed her hand to reveal a large burn on her shoulder blade.

Mohan and Maui gasped in horror.

"[Y/n], I'm so sorry." Mohan said dejectedly. [Y/n] reached up to touch his cheek.

"It's okay." She started to sit up as Mohan helped her and she faced Maui.

"Maui please, you have to restore the heart."

"Are you nuts [Y/n]? My hook is almost gone and look at you, you're badly burnt."

"It's nothing, really."

"That burn is nothing?" Maui asked angrily pointing to the wound on her shoulder.

"Please." She said pleadingly.

"Like I said before, I'm not going back." Mohan stood up angrily

"I am Mohan of Montuni. You will board my boat-"

"Goodbye [Y/n], goodbye Mohan." Maui said to them and [Y/n] looked at him sadly.

"Sail across the sea-"

"I'm not killing myself so you can prove you're something you're not!"

"And restore the heart of Te Fiti." Mohan finished desperately. "The ocean chose me."

"It chose wrong. You better wrap up [Y/n]'s wound before it gets infected." He turned into his hawk form and flew away.

"Maui!" The teens shouted after him but he paid them no attention.

Mohan turned around sadly and he sensed the ocean come to him.

"Why did you bring me here? I'm not the right person, you have to choose someone else."

Mohan turned and held out the heart to it.

"Choose someone else, please." Mohan begged.

The ocean took the heart and sank back. Mohan dropped to his knees and [Y/n] came up next to him, kneeling down and pulling him close to her. He put his head on her uninjured shoulder sobbing softly.