1 | Unexpected Encounters.

'Raven!'
'Raven!'

My foster mother's voice could be heard echoing throughout the house as she attempted to wake me up.

'Raven if I have to call you again to wake you up you're going to be grounded missy!'

Yep, you guessed it that's the final straw. Looks like I better get up and start getting ready to school. I couldn't bear to be grounded in this house and not with her. She's not the worst foster parent I've ever had but she's not the best either. We're just civil and it works at that.

Glancing at my alarm clock sitting next to my bed, I realised it was 7.00am and I had to leave the house in 15 minutes if I was ever going to make it to school on time. On top of that make it my first day of school being the new girl. That's right, being placed with a new foster family meant that I had to transfer schools so, now I was the new girl starting in April when there's only a term left til the end of the school year.

Picking up my duvet from the floor, I tried to keep to myself because if I faced my foster mother I wouldn't have been able to help but throw a snide comment her way. That's one thing you should know about me. I'm very sarcastic and too often it causes me to end up in unwanted situations. Not that I'm complaining. The more trouble I'm in the next foster family I'm onto and soon enough I'll be 18 and legally able to live alone without a guardian.

*BEEP BEEP*

My phone alarm was going off telling me I had to leave within the next 5 minutes if I was to make it to school on time. Rushing around my room, I grabbed the first few clothing items I saw; my black tennis skirt, red crop top with lace detailing and my trusty leather jacket.

After throwing them on, I slipped on my boots and headed across my room to the bathroom. The sight in-front of me in the mirror was horrific. My long raven coloured hair was a disheveled mess and my face could do with a bit of cleaning up. I yanked my brush through my hair which luckily enough was cooperating today and washed my face to get rid of my tiredness. I'm not a heavy on the make up kind of girl but I do love the odd touch up here and there so I applied my mascara and red lipstick before running back into my room to grab my backpack.

I didn't care much for school itself but I did care about my grades. If I was to ever support myself in the future I would need good grades in order to do so. One look into my bag and you saw that. It contained a notebook for each subject I was taking, a fresh pack of pens so I wouldn't run out during the middle of class and the reading list for texts we would be covering this term. I had already received my timetable via email so I knew what classes I had already starting with English this fine Monday morning. I slung my bag over my shoulders and headed downstairs so I can make my way to school.

Dashing out the door, I unlocked my car (a flashy Audi which had been a parting gift from my last foster family) and drove off in the direction of my new school. I didn't think much of anything until I arrived at school and saw the entire parking lot looking at me, or most likely my car, or both. Not caring what anyone else was thinking I parked in the first empty spot I could find, locked my car grabbing my backpack and made my way to English.

I walked in to see a thin, timid looking woman - probably in her mid thirties by the looks of it - waiting for me to enter her classroom. She looked at me as I came in, 'Hello, I'm Ms Parkinson and you young lady are late - by 7 minutes to be exact.'

The smirk on my face grew when I realised she was severely annoyed by my tardiness. 'Yeah those 7 minutes were taken to admire the view and I wasn't talking about the school,' I replied winking at the first good looking guy my eyes landed on. Little did I know I would regret this decision later on.

She looked shocked, but decided to let it go knowing it was my first day and she couldn't do anything about it. She handed me a copy of The Great Gatsby and I just rolled my eyes at it. It was a sappy romance novel where the guy would do anything for the girl - as if that happens in real life! Yes, if you couldn't already tell I had read the book prior to this lesson.

Soon enough class was over and I was about to leave when I felt someone staring at me. Looking around I found that the girl sitting behind me was looking at me with a friendly face. Although I'm not really a making friends type of person cause I never stay in one place long enough for that I couldn't help but try since I was new here and needed at least one person on my side.

'Hi, I'm Lexie,' she said with a smile.

'I'm Raven,' I replied trying my best to replicate the smile she was giving me.

Giggling she said, 'I think everyone's going to know your name soon enough Raven. I mean not only did you speak back to Ms Parkinson, you also full on flirted with Ryder!'

'Who's Ryder?' I asked unsure of who she was on about.

'Ryder was the guy you winked at in front of everyone. He's the school's resident player if you can call him that. He's slept with almost all the girls in the school and doesn't even remember their names yet, they still throw themselves at him,' she replied.

I was about to say something when I was cut off by Ms Parkinson getting annoyed at us for making her second class late to enter the classroom as we were 'nattering away' as she put it.

We walked out the door together and headed towards our next class, Maths. We were almost there when I realised I had left my textbook in my locker and excused myself to go and get it.

I was running quickly, unaware of my surroundings when I ran into a hard chest causing my books to fall out of my hands and onto the floor. To say I was embarrassed was an understatement. Normally I was the one making guys drop their books over me.

'Well would you look at that, you just can't stay away from me can you. First, winking at me in front of everyone in class and now wanting to feel my hard chest huh?' said a deep voice in a rather amused voice.

Annoyed by his tone and already figuring out who it was Raven replied 'Ahhh if it isn't the trash I forgot to throw out this morning,' flashing him her biggest fake smile.

To say Ryder was pissed was an understatement. He grabbed Raven's jacket by the collar bringing her closer to him and said, 'Listen here bitch, just cause your new and acting all mighty doesn't mean you can do that to me get it?' and with that he dropped her jacket and strutted off into the corridor.

Unfazed by what Ryder had just said to her, Raven collected up her dropped books, grabbed her textbook and made her way back to her class, which she was now very late too if she hadn't already been.