3 | This House is on Fire!

When detention ended, I couldn't have run out those doors fast enough. Not because I was avoiding Ryder but because my top was starting to become rather uncomfortable and I wouldn't want to stay another minute in it if it could be avoided. Unlocking my Audi, I hastily got in and sped off out of the school car park, not bothering to look around to see if Ryder was following me.

Pulling up to my foster home, I unlocked the door and headed inside to hear my foster mother asking how my day was. Mumbling a short 'fine' i started to make my way upstairs when she said.

'No so fast missy, go upstairs and get yourself presentable, your already late enough as it is and I'm having dinner with a client and his family are coming over.'

Annoyed, I rolled my eyes and made my way upstairs.

A FEW HOURS LATER

To say I didn't know what to wear would be a understatement. I was just told to look 'presentable', whatever that means. I decided that to play it safe was the best option so I settled on a velvet red dress that was so long it could almost scrape the floor and decided to put my hair into a half up half down as we were having dinner.

'Raven! The guests will be arriving soon, get down her immediately!' I heard my foster mother call.

Without replying, I began to make my way downstairs double checking how I looked in the mirror on the wall. Once reaching the corridor, I was headed towards the living room when I bumped into none other than the jerk himself.

'What are you doing here?' I asked him, my voice slightly raised.

'Well, Raven Reynolds or should I say Raven Carter, it looks like my father's your mother's new client' he said his eyes gleaming as if he had just hit the jackpot.

That didn't sound good but, Raven didn't let it show and if anything held her head up higher and with gritted teeth said 'Don't you dare call me Carter, that's not my name.'

Dinner was definitely going to be interesting she thought.

My foster mother led everyone into the dining room, and I followed but not before she turned around grabbing my wrist and whispered in a harsh voice, 'play nice with the boy and don't mess this up for me.'

To this I simply rolled my eyes but it looked like I was going to have to play along with Ryder tonight. I couldn't afford to be sent to another foster home.

As I sat down next to Ryder, the look of surprise on his face said it all. He hasn't been expecting it. Soon after his face turned in a smirk when he whispered 'Couldn't stay away from me could you?'

Deciding to ignore the jerk, Raven made way with her dinner remaining silent for as long as she could.

'How are you adjusting to your new school Raven?' Ryder's father asked me attempting to make small talk.

'Oh just fine Sir! Expect this odd case of an annoying jerk who can't seem to get into his head that I don't like him.' Raven replied trying to hide the small smile forming on her face.

Each of the three people sat around her had different reactions to her reply. Her foster mother was glaring at her as if to tell her to behave, Ryder choked on his drink not expecting her to be so straight up and his father just gave a small laugh before he replied 'sounds like this guy is giving you a really hard time, next time he does don't be afraid to hit him where the sun don't shine' winking at the girl.

'Oh I won't' replied Raven a huge smile forming on her face and she dared to look at Ryder who looked as if he was about to explode.

After dinner was finished, Raven's foster mother had called her to help clean up. Hearing this Ryder also offered to help, much to her disgust.

'I just need to go talk to your father real quick Ryder, make sure she doesn't get up to too much trouble,' announced Raven's foster mother.

'I'll make sure of it mam!' he replied over enthusiastically.

Oh boy was Raven in trouble.