Chapter 10

Sydney's POV

 "He probably isn't going to be there," Quinn says over the phone when I called her Saturday morning after waking up with a panic attack courtesy of my overnight plans. "I mean he wasn't at Layla's game Thursday or the football game last night. So maybe that jackass has finally left town."

    "Well if I wasn't such a chicken shit I should have just asked Layla but of course, I'd rather be in an uncontrollable panic than actually find out firsthand," I say as I roll my eyes at the dramatics floating around in my head and spilling out of my mouth.

    "You will be fine. Whether he is there or not you can handle this. Do not by any means let Brooks Dawson of all people have that control over you. You deserve better than what he did to you, Syd." she says and the warmth in her voice eases my worry a little bit.

    "You're right. You're always right." I say with a genuine appreciation for my best friend.

 As I hang up the phone and begin packing my bags my mind can't help but shift to memories that I haven't let my mind think about in a long time.

3 years ago

January

I kissed Brooks. I kissed Brooks. Holy freaking shit. I kissed Brooks. I think to myself as I lay in bed that night. I could not stop smiling but also the guilt in my chest was beginning to grow, I hate Quinn not knowing what is going on. I hate lying to Layla but I kissed Brooks and it was the best feeling I have ever had in all the years I've been on this earth. I mean, I have kissed boys before but seriously nothing compares to this.

My phone lights up.

Best kiss ever. -B

I nearly crawled out of my skin I was so giddy.

Couldn't agree more. -S

Well, I've got to go to bed. Big game tomorrow. Cheer hard, can't wait to see you in that uniform ;) oh and...
P.S. Don't forget to smile, it's my favorite. Goodnight beautiful. -B

Wouldn't want to disappoint our star player :) Good night handsome. -S

I cannot keep this in any longer I am going to explode with happiness if that is even possible. I have to tell Quinn.

Hi. I need to talk to you. Major news. -S

Who did you kiss? -Q

How do you know I kissed someone? -S

Because I know you, any major news usually revolves around a boy. -Q

Well per usual you're right, but I can't tell you over text. Meet me tomorrow morning in the agriculture greenhouse. -S

Why do I suddenly feel like this is the beginning of a shit show? -Q

It probably is but there's no going back now. Oh, and it's top secret. Only you and I can know. -S

My lips are sealed. -Q

XOXO -S

***

The next morning I am pacing the greenhouse, surrounded by all the dead plants left over from the warmer months when I hear the door open and Quinn steps in.

Before she can even say good morning, I blurt " I kissed Brooks."

Stunned she stutters, "Brooks? Brooks Dawson? As in Layla's brother Brooks? Star basketball player Brooks?" surprise covering her face.