Frost

The princess was exhausted after her 100-year fight. I wouldn't expect any differently.  She was in clear need of rest, a hot meal, and clean clothing.  While she stood without trembling, I could tell she was growing weary quickly. 

I spoke softly to her, knowing it may surprise her. Since realizing that I am one of her only ties she has left to her past life, I was more committed to communicating openly with her. It was a privilege she deserved while I remained mostly silent around others.

"Princess...." I began.  She was gazing at the remains of the castle.  I looked at the ground, my face growing warm as she turned to me.  "I....I have a home in Hateno village that you can stay in.  If...if you want to continue traveling together."  

She slowly nodded and smiled softly.  "Thank you, Link.  I could use some sleep."  

I scratched the back of my head sheepishly.  "Now you're making me feel bad for sleeping for 100 years."

She grinned in her weariness, and tucked a strand of her golden hair behind her ears.  "Shall we head off, then?" she asked.

I nodded, and approached her.  My face was burning, but I smiled excitedly, and took her hands in mine.  

"I have a surprise for you," I murmured.  "I hope....I hope you'll like her."

"Her?" The princess repeated. 

I held my fingers to my lips and whistled.  After a few moments, I heard the whinny of my horse companion.  In the distance, the silhouette of the animal appeared, galloping towards us.  

Zelda gasped, holding a closed hand to her heart as the horse came into view.  "Could it be...?"

The proud white horse slowed as it came to me, shaking her mane.  She bore the purple reins and saddle, a symbol of her royal status.  Her nostrils flared at the sight of Zelda, who immediately approached her.  

"This is Frost," I said, stroking the mare's yellow mane.  "She is a descendant of-"

"My little one," Zelda said, wiping tears from her green eyes.  She buried her face in the horse's side.  "Oh, Link, she's beautiful."  

"She's yours, then," I said.  I winced as I mounted the horse's saddle.  I had a deep cut on the side of my knee from the fight with Ganon.  "Come, Princess."  I held out my hand for her to take.  

"Link," she said as she mounted the horse, "thank you."

"You're welcome," I murmured.  I pushed Frost forward, turning her away from the setting sun.  "We'll be there soon."

The Princess put her arms around my waist, leaning her head on my shoulder.  I didn't see, but I was sure she was closing her eyes.  Blushing, I glanced at the ruins of the castle once more before prompting Frost to gallop away, towards Hateno village.  I wanted nothing more than to take Zelda away from her shell of a prison.