Breakfast

The sounds of roaring water filled my ears as I stood guard at the bottom of the waterfall in Hateno.  The princess wanted to bathe, but I didn't want it done in the pond outside my home.  The water was still bloody, and it was out in the open.  

My face was red as a volt fruit as I stood with my sword in front of me.  Despite a hundred years apart, the princess trusted me with her privacy.  I was glad that my memories and knightly responsibilities had been restored to me in the moment.  I wouldn't dare look at her undressed.  While it was a little embarrassing, I also took comfort of her trust in me.  

At home, some bread was rising, and I would cook her a proper, and hopefully magnificent, breakfast.  She'd nibbled on an apple or two, but I knew the value and comfort of a hot meal.  I was looking forward to spending the day with her, and planning for Hyrule's future.  

She took a long time.  I wasn't sure how long, but it was long.  I'm sure she was just relishing the feeling of being in water again.  Finally, though, I heard the sound of her getting out.  

"Link, you didn't have to buy me so many clothes," she said.  I'd brought the entire chest with us for her to choose from.  "I supposed we could go to the castle and see if any of my old outfits lasted."

I bowed my head down.  "Perhaps we could find your crown.  Do you remember where it is?"

I heard the shuffling of fabric as she put on an item of clothing.  "I believe I left it in my study somewhere."  The chest creaked, and Zelda sighed in contentment.  "You can turn around now, if you like.  How do I look?"

I put the sword on my back, and pivoted my head back.  She was wearing a Hylian tunic, a lot like mine in style, but without the leather chest and shoulder plates, and dyed green.  The tan trousers and boots that were in the clothing chest fit perfectly.  

I nodded affirmingly at her, and went to retrieve the chest.  She combed her fingers through her wet hair, smiling blissfully.  

"Let's be off," she said.  "I'm excited to try your legendary breakfast."

~~~~~

How strange it was, to have the Princess in a house as humble as mine.  She spent the first seventeen years of her life in palaces and huge, lavishly decorated rooms.  Luckily, she liked my cooking.  It had been a long time since I'd made bread.  My diet had become very...wild.  I actually had developed quite the taste for wolf meat.  

The princess and I looked at some of the photos I'd taken with the Sheikah slate over breakfast.  I baked a few loaves of bread, and also cooked up some rice, mushrooms, and roasted bass.  I tore at a mushroom skewer as she swiped through the photographs.  

"Oh, how precious," Zelda said as she came upon a photo of one of the Korok in Korok Forest.  She looked at me with her curious, gorgeous green eyes.  "What's this one's name?"  

I squinted at the photo.  It was a Korok with a five-pointed leaf mask.  I had allowed him to pose with my sword, which he was obsessed with.  "That's Kula," I grinned.  "I'm sure he'd love to meet you."  

She put down the Sheikah slate gently.  "I'd like to begin traveling.  Hyrule needs to know of my return.  And I need to know how it can be restored to its former power and glory."

"I'll help in any way that I can, Princess," I murmured.  

"I'd like to start in Korok forest," she began.  "I would very much like to see the Deku Tree again.  And then...maybe Zora's domain."  She suddenly swallowed, and her face saddened.  "Link...I know you spoke with the champions.  In their divine beasts.  But my weakening power prevented me from watching for long.  Were they....were they angry with me?"

"Angry?" I repeated softly.  I noticed her eyes were welling with tears.  I felt her pain.  She was blaming herself for her failure, just as I did.  "No, they weren't angry, my princess.  Urbosa said you shouldn't blame yourself." 

She looked up at me, and a tear rolled down her cheek at the mention of her dear friend's name.  "She did?"

"This was the way things were meant to happen," I affirmed.  "And we cannot change the past.  We must press forward now."

"I have had one hundred years to deal with my loss," she whispered.  "And yet, I struggle to come to terms with the fact that I have lost everyone.  Everyone but you."

She was surprisingly silent as she cried, and I let her indulge.  As far as I was concerned, she had the right to cry for days on end.  Yet I didn't leave her alone.  I simply put my hand on top of hers to let her know I was there.  

How was she to adapt to this new world where there were almost no familiar faces?  Was there nothing that remained from her old life?  

No.  Of course not.  

My mind began racing.  I  had help from so many old friends, friends that held out until I awoke from my long slumber.  The Deku Tree, Impa, Robbie...and a friend just outside Hateno, of course.

"Princess!" I jumped to my feet, startling her.  "Let's go for a ride."

"Oh!" she said.  She wiped a tear from her eye.  "Um, alright. Why?"

I smiled at her and offered her my hand.  "We're going to see a friend."