A Moment of Rest

The Princess was fast asleep by the time I arrived at my humble home in the village.  I had to stop halfway through the trip to put her in front of me so she wouldn't fall during the ride.  The sky had long grown dark.  As usual, Bolson and Karson were hanging around the fire that always crackled beneath their cooking pot.  

Zelda stirred slightly as I took her from the mare.  Bolson glanced at me suspiciously.  

"Link, I try to mind my own business, but I like to check up on my tenants from time to time," he said, standing up from the fire.  "May I ask if your lady friend there is alright?"

I began to head towards the door, but I paused and turned to them.  

"Today the Calamity fell," I said matter-of-factly.  "And this woman is the Princess of Hyrule.  I am taking her into my home to let her rest."  

Bolson practically jumped back, and Karson scrambled to his feet.  They both stared at the Princess in my arms.  

"That's really the Princess?!" Karson said.  "Princess Zelda?"

She stirred once more, making my heart thump.  I didn't want her to be awoken.

"Shh," I urged.  I simply nodded, and opened my door.  "Please do not disturb us."

The door creaked as I shut it, but luckily Zelda didn't wake up.  There was enough moonlight pouring through the small bedroom window for me to see where I was going.  I climbed the stairs and placed Zelda on my bed gently, first pulling the covers down.  She was still in her dirty dress, but I figured it was more important to let her sleep.  I laid the blanket over her.  It would get cold during the night.  

For the first time, I was also able to rest.  I sat on the floor, by the nightstand, placing the darkness sealing sword at my side.  I leaned back, stretching my legs, wincing at the pain of the cut on my knee.  I could fix it tomorrow.  

I closed my eyes and curled up on the floor, holding onto the sound of Zelda breathing softly above me.  With each breath she took, I was further reassured of her safety.  Eventually, it was enough for me to be able to fall asleep.