Kula

When the princess and I teleported to the shrine in the center of Korok forest, I immediately felt a rush of peace.  The thick green canopy was soothing to my eyes, as it dimmed the bright sunlight of Hyrule.  The sound of crickets and other insects surrounding the tree line instilled a feeling of seclusion and safety. 

"This is my favorite place for respite," I concluded out loud.  "It is so untouched by others, yet I have always felt that it beckons me."

"And what of it now?"  Zelda murmured beside me, a twinkle in her eye.

"Now it calls me to present you to its spirits," I said.  "As a symbol of triumph and peace."

I led her through the trees, knowing the path to the Deku Tree like the back of my hand.  She held my arm, and for a brief moment, I felt like I was presenting her as my bride.  The thought made me blush, but I shook it off as I heard the jingling noise of the Koroks as they shyly looked at us from the trees, or on their swiveling leaves. 

"Oh!  There they are!" Zelda gasped as the leaf spirits ducked away.  She stopped in her tracks, cupping her mouth towards the hiding Koroks.  "Come out, little ones!" she called out.  "There's no need to be afraid." 

A few of them peeked around the trees, but stayed quiet and kept their distance.  Zelda's ears lowered in disappointment. 

"Don't worry, princess," I whispered reassuringly.  "They just don't know who you are yet.  Many of them are just shy, remember?  You've been here before."

More of the forest spirits appeared and quickly hid away again as we approached the Great Deku Tree.  Around the Master Sword's resting place blossomed an explosion of silent princesses. 

"Oh, Link..." Zelda said, in awe of the endangered species.  "Just look at these..."  She knelt down to touch one of the blue flowers.  "They're doing so well.  I wonder..."  She held her fingers to her chin in ambivalence.  "I wonder if it would be a bad thing to take one to press." 

"Perhaps later," I said.  "Come."  I offered her my hand, and she accepted with a nervous smile.  Together, we quietly approached the base of the tree. 

In only a moment, Chio, the elder Korok, noticed the two of us, and waved from his tree stump.

"Mr. Hero!" he cheered.  "Hellooooo!"

"Mr. Hero!!"  Another voice called in the distance.  The grass rustled beneath one of the great tree's lifted roots, and a Korok stumbled out.  I smiled at the familiar face of the five-pointed leaf- masked spirit. 

I knelt down to greet the Korok as he approached us.  "Hello, Kula," I said.  "Look who I have with me today." 

"Another hero?" he asked, tilting his head.

The princess knelt next to me, grinning from ear to ear.  "Hello, little one," she said.  "It's nice to meet you.  I'm Zelda."

Kula gasped, then jumped up and down in excitement.  "Princess!  Princess Zelda!"  He turned to face me, his little body trembling with happiness.  "You saved the princess, Mr. Hero!" 

He jumped into my arms and hugged me.  Before I knew it, the other Koroks who had heard the commotion were approaching us tentatively.  I recognized Peeks and Maca, and even turned to see Hestu approaching us from behind. 

I found myself tearing up at Kula's pure, utter joy.  The Koroks were valuable friends to me, and I found such comfort in their unconditional faith.  I was so grateful I didn't let them down.

"Are you really the princess?" Maca asked, running up to Zelda's knees. 

"She is, Maca," I sniffed, a grin spreading on my face.  I wiped tears from my face.  "This is Princess Zelda."