CHAPTER 16

I was shit scared to turn around and look who he was, but I had to do it anyway. Hoping it was Pranay, I tucked a chunk of my hair behind my ear so that I'd look good. Certainly, this wasn't the best time to think about my looks, but you know! Girls do this all the time.

But clearly, my dumb ass took way too much time thinking about all this. By the time I turned to look at him, the period bell rang and he disappeared into the crowd. I felt relaxed and obtuse at the same time. How could I let him go? Again!

Or maybe this wasn't Pranay. I was just overthinking about it and this whole 'locker' thing. I mean he can't be this unfortunate that he'd end up in the same college as me and meet me again after whatever happened between us Right?

...

'...You the reason I believe that love is real

Ain't nobody makes me feel the way you make me feel

Darling, tell me, is it real?

Or was I lying to myself just to make it feel so real?

Ain't nobody ...'

Someone pulled off my earphone and interrupted my little 'singing in the head - weeping about mistakes' session.

"You mad or what?" a guy called out.

I was so pissed off by now, not only because of what this guy did but because of whatever was happening since morning. Also, I was about to vocalise my favourite part of this fucking song!

"What? I can't put on my earphones now? Do I need your permission?" I snapped at him. And to my surprise, he smirked at it.

"You okay?" he said, still smiling. I felt stupid.

"What the fuck do you want?" I couldn't stand him anymore. But, at least he stopped smiling now.

"Prof. Malhotra wanted to see you for the History assignment," He said.

"Who are you? His assistant?" I don't know why I was behaving like this. He looked damn serious and enraged now. I found myself checking him out that too, at THIS totally inappropriate moment. He was hot though!

"I'm your partner in this assignment. Now can you PLEASE come with me?" The 'please' made him sound more brutal.

I nodded and quietly followed him to avoid any further conflict.

On my way to the classroom, I noticed a boy standing by my locker. My heart started skipping beats I was so scared that I started quivering.

This 'assignment guy' turned around to see where I was. He came to me and said, "Let's go" He touched my elbow while saying this, so I promptly moved my hand. And he noticed it which made it even more awkward.

"What?" he said.

"Listen ... Uh ..." I realized that I haven't asked his name. He was clever enough to guess why I was stuttering and said, "Dhruv"

"Uh yeah, Dhruv I need to grab my books, so I'll see you in the class?" I said.

This guy was literally eerier than me. He left without even saying anything.

Anyway, my attention was more inclined towards the other guy. And fortunately, he was still standing there trying to open MY locker. I mustered up my spirit and went to him.

"Hey," I said. I swear my heart was about to explode.

As soon as he turned around his books bumped into me and fell.