Chapter 48

"You can stop here," Tom said when they reached the middle of town. "I'll help Abby close up." Even though it was a decent stretch of time passed sundown, the glow of lamplight was still spilling out onto the walkways from the windows of his family's general store.

Guilt swished around in Tom's stomach as he slid down from the back of Bran's horse. It wasn't like he'd ever expected him staying with Bran to be a permanent thing...but after what they'd done, it didn't feel right to be leaving his side. He looked up at Bran and offered him an apologetic smile before glancing around the mostly empty streets. He could make out the figure of Sheriff Atwell across the way, sitting in his usual spot, in front of his office. "Keep yerself outta trouble till I can see you again?" he asked, looking back up to Bran.

"Yeah, just don't take too long, or I'm liable to get bored," Bran's words were meant as a joke but the strain in them had fallen just short of the mark. He was worried, less about the possibility of any Shield's catching sight of him, though that was a possibility, but more about Tom and what might be said in his absence.

Tom forced a short laugh. "Well, I don't want that..." he scratched the back of his head, as he discreetly made sure his sister wasn't hovering near one of the windows of the store, then cast one more quick glance in Euell's direction. He couldn't tell if the sheriff was looking at them or not, but decided to take the risk. In one quick motion, he grabbed the saddle horn and stepped on top of one of Bran's stirruped boots, just long enough to pull himself up and kiss Bran on the cheek. "G'night," he said, as soon as both of his feet were back on the ground.

It hadn't taken the two of them long to close up the store with Tom sweeping and Abby counting the day's notes

It hadn't taken the two of them long to close up the store with Tom sweeping and Abby counting the day's notes. They walked home with Abby's arm hooked around her brother's and she couldn't help but chatter excitedly at him about how happy mama would be to see him, or just how glad she was that he was home. But it was hard for Tom to think. He was just nervous to see his father, and the first step he took through the front door was the worst one.

It felt like he'd been gone for longer than he had been... almost like he'd expected things to be different upon his return, only nothing was. Everything looked like life had just gone on in their house as normal, even though they'd been missing two of three sons.

Tom found his parents in the sitting room and he barely got a meek, "hey," in before his mother was on her feet, and had wrapped him in her arms so tight that he could barely breathe. When she finally pulled back from him, there were tears streaming down her cheeks, as she held his face in her hands. Horace placed a hand on her shoulder, then pulled both her and Tom into a hug.

That was when Tom broke.

A stream of apologies just kept spilling from his lips as he held tightly onto his paw, tears painfully stinging his eyes.

"Shhh," Horace whispered, "I'm sorry too..." There was a crack in his voice that made Tom feel better. At least he knew he wasn't the only one making a fool of himself... blubbering like his mother and sister. He didn't wanna see his paw crying, though. He kept his face buried into Horace's chest. "Hush up, now, it's alright..."