Chapter 7

In town, Joe McGrath had arrived with his nephew, John, his son, Henry, and his two brothers — Jack and Chad. No smiles or friendly nods were given to anyone as the men approached the Sheriff's office. Only business and anger was on their minds. Henry, being the youngest, was left outside, while the four most influential men in their family entered.

Mr. Atwell had been a friend of the family for many years and even taken a McGrath as his wife. He was still young and had only been sheriff for about a year, but he was a spirited man, and his age gave him the energy to go toe to toe with any of the younger troublemakers.

Because of his age, he usually sought the guidance of the local judge and the Mayor on legal issues, and Joe was his friend and confidant on moral and spiritual grounds. But Joe had always felt that Euell had a good enough head on his shoulders that he only asked for reassurance most of the time. As the four entered, Euell stood and came forward to greet them.

"G'day Joe" he only addressed him, though he knew the others since the looks on their faces told him that they weren't here to simply shoot the shit.

"Euell," Joe replied and nodded to him as he held his hands in front of him. "I think ther'sa been a few occurrences that ya otta be privy to. The Shield boys been causin' a right amount of trouble for my boys, and I'd have ya nip it in the butt before anythin serious come of it." Joe spoke with a simple tone. Clearly, he'd had time to let his rage fade before he'd made the trip to see Euell. There was no sense in yelling at a man who'd had no hand in the events anyway.

Euell's face turned a bit more serious "I'd heard rumors... what's going on, Joe?" he asked setting himself on the edge of his desk.

"Shield claims he's gone and bought the McGrath farm on the south side of the river. Ya know that's our land, everyone in town knows it. Now I dun know how he done it, and I'm not much for carrin' to hear what he pulled to get it, but I want the farm returned to the family, where it rightly belongs."

"Joe, you know I can't, he's got papers-"

"Damn the papers!" John roared, but was silenced by Joe as he raised his hand to signify that he'd been heard.

"Euell, can't we take this to court and do things civil-like?"

"Joe, I wish I could tell ya yes, but Judge Shield dismissed those inquiries twice on lack of evidence, the truth of the matter was there is no deed, and no will, and a whole lot of backed up debt on that land, my hands are tied..." Euell sounded genuinely sorry, and though Joe didn't like his answer, he understood where he was coming from.

"I know Euell, I ain't holdin' it against ya, ya done all ya could. The other thing is my nephew Brand was jumped by a group of the Shield boys and their friends. He'll live, but there was no cause for it."

"I heard. It's all a grand shit mess, everyone's story is different. Joe, I'm askin' ya, if ya can just be happy that yer boys are all alive and that no one got killed."

"They lived this time," Chad added, and there was a moment of silence where Euell seemed to inwardly agree on that statement.

"Euell, if yer askin me to be reasonable, I am, but what more has to happen before you do somethin?" Joe was sterner now, and Euell gave another helpless sigh.

"Joe, take yer family home, forget about the farm. It's a lost cause, and only trouble can come of this. Let me talk ta the boys, give em a warning, and let that be the end of it." By now he could see that his answers weren't bringing them any comfort and might have only been making things worse.

Joe didn't argue though, he just thanked Euell for his time, and led his family out of the office.

"I like Euell, but he's a damned coward..." John muttered as the four stepped back out onto the road.

"Euell's a good man, if he'd thought there was anything he could'a done, he'd have done it." Joe reasoned, as he set his pipe between his lips and lit a match.

"That farm was let set too long. Yer pa was never one to have his affairs in order," Jack added and nodded as if to assure himself and John. "You let this all be a lesson to ya."

***

Bran sat on the steps, watching the girls as they chatted and hung the sheets up to dry. It was a beautiful day, with only a few clouds dotting the bright blue of the sky. Suddenly a form plopped down next to him, and there was a pat on his shoulder as Allen joined him.

"Hey cuz, good to see you up and around," Allen said cheerfully. He looked like he'd been working all morning, his blonde hair unruly from being under his hat. Allen was aunt Betty's only child, and that made him a bit of an outcast to most the family because she'd never married, but to Bran, he was a close friend, practically a second brother.

"Nah, I'll be fine, ain't nothin serious," Bran replied, though he caught Al staring at him in an awkward way. "Wut?"

Allen looked away quickly. "I was just wonderin' why you'd help a gurl that you knew was trouble, s'all," He replied, playing with a piece of grass between his fingers.

"If yer suggestin' I'm sweet on her, yer sorely mistaken," Brand replied with one lifted brow, a look that made Allen chuckle.

"Just sayin, ya'kno better," his cousin added, now looking to the clouds that floated lazily through the mid-afternoon sky. "So ya gonna show me?" He asked, reaching over and trying to peek under Brand's shirt. He was quickly pushed away.

"Ain't nothin ta see," Brand warned.

Allen certainly loved to invade his personal space, and not always in an innocent way. Even when they were children he recalled Allen giving him a kiss, that had sent their aunt into a religious rampage.

Bran was always aware that Allen was the black sheep of the family, and had caught him staring at men more than women for years. Unlike the rest of the family, Brand had never condemned him for it, which was probably why they were close, but he always made sure there was a clear line for what antics of Al's he'd be willing to tolerate. That never really stopped the older boy from testing them constantly, though.

"Should have known, you don't really strike me as the family type." Allen glanced to his cousin and then back to the sky.

"Now wut s'all that suppose ta mean?"

"Well, I don't think you've ever been sweet on no girl before, not any proper women that is...you sure you aint like me?" There was a certain hopefulness to Allen's tone mixed with his amusement and Brand just laughed.

"I'm sure," Brand assured him then shook his head. "Just ain't found no one worth the effort," He added, and before he could hear Allen's response, his head turned and settled on John and a few of the other boys saddling up.

"Now, wuts them all up to?"

John had just gotten back, so it seemed pretty odd that he'd be leaving for town again. Allen followed Brand's gaze and answered.

"Ya didn't hear? They's goin' to yer family's old farm. John's takin' it back."