Chapter 32

When Faith stormed into the town's Forthright Bank, she didn't speak a single word and yet just how she carried herself drew attention. She walked straight towards Jack's office without a single soul willing to put themselves between her and her target. The clerks flinched as the office door slammed shut and the shouting began nearly the moment it had.

"Damned you, Jack! I know you have something to do with this!" She barked causing Fin to shift from where he was standing by the window behind Jack's chair. Just Fin's gaze caused Faith to pause. She'd not expected to see him there, though now, in light of things, it made all too much sense that he was. "And you! You have a hand in it too! You're all gonna drag this family to hell!" She continued until Fin stalked towards her with a pointed look in his eyes.

"This ain't no place for you, little sister--come in here making wild accusations...disrupting business... Ain't very ladylike." Fin warned and his words made Faith scoff.

"What could someone from the territories know about being ladylike?"

"Faith, just let us handle this. There's no need to get involved." Jack backed his brother from the safety of his desk.

"The hell there's not! Whatever you two are up to, it's gotten out of hand. Now they're going to be pointing fingers at any McGrath. I'm not going to have my boys sucked into this! I swear if one hair on their heads is harmed--" Before she could finish her rant, Jack spoke again.

"Pft, your boy's last names' aren't even McGrath, why would anyone go after them?" Jack dismissed, fueling the frustration in Faith's eyes.

"Because, you pompous simpleton, you--" Again, she was cut off, this time by Fin.

"Then leave." Fin's casual statement seemed to surprise both Faith and Jack.

"She can't leave! Her son's our lawyer, without him--"
"That's the smartest thing Fin's ever said! Maybe I should go!" Faith threatened, now that she saw the fear in Jack's eyes of losing her son as his legal counsel.

"Alright, alright, Faith, you made yer point. Let's not get hasty now...Maybe Fin could spare one of his boy's to watch your's and make sure they ain't get into no trouble."

Jack's assumption caused Fin to quirk a brow. That was an interesting solution, and not one he outwardly objected to.

Euell stared into the mirror as he finished his tie and strapped on his gun holster

Euell stared into the mirror as he finished his tie and strapped on his gun holster. He'd slept in late after last night's events. He wished he could say it'd been a welcomed break from the harsh reality that the morning brought, but his sleep had been fitful.

After he made his way down into the kitchen where his wife and daughter were, he stood a moment in the door frame, a small smile playing on his features. His wife, Eva, nearly jumped out of her skin with fright as she turned around and finally caught sight of him standing there.

"Christ, Euell!" She gasped. "Don't do that!" She laughed a little in spite of herself.

"Payment, for letting me sleep in," he said as he poured himself a cup of coffee.