22 | The End Of A Prophecy

Trigger Warning!

fight scene, mention of blood, sword/knives, mention (and semi-description) of death. If you are uncomfortable with any of this, the next chapter will have a summary, so don't worry about missing anything! Your well-being is more important that anything.

ALSO THIS SONG IS SO POWERFUL TO SLAY DRAGONS TO, I FELT SO COOL WHEN I WAS PROOF-READING!!

_

Y/N

_

TIME IS TICKING...

If I could count the minutes and seconds since my departure, I'd just be counting down to an untimely fate. I'd put it off for long enough, promising I'd be okay to everyone who was brave enough to try and stop me, but now I had my hands wrapped around the reigns of my horse, thundering through the forest and towards the castle.

Or certain death, but let's not get too angsty.

My teeth were gritted together as I ducked under a loose branch, the wind pushing my hair into my face wildly as I traveled deeper into the wood. Louis' chain was snapping at my collarbone painfully with each gallop, which was less than ideal, so I twisted my right hand into the center of the reigns, using my left to slip the necklace in between my teeth and clench down. Gross, or whatever, but it was bothering me.

Now that it was my second time approaching the castle, I didn't worry about directions. It took me less than a quarter of an hour to approach the towering, red kingdom, and I craned my head back in horror to observe the chaos from up close.

The silhouette of the Jabberwocky was shining through the thick clouds, and my curiosity dimmed for once—I'd rather not see what it looked like behind the smoke. Shielding my eyes from the fiery glares, I traced the destruction towards the back of the castle and immediately set off towards it.

This was it.

No going back now.

I stopped my horse once we reached a large croquet garden, with crumbling ruins of old architecture surrounding an arena in the shape of a chess board. Cards were littered around the space, spears clutched in their hands as they whipped towards my entering presence.

But I wasn't worried about them.

Instead, I kept my focus on the unfamiliar face in the center of the board, perched on top of a heart-shaped throne. I hadn't been graced with their presence before, and I was definitely glad for that—looking a sickening person in the eyes was enough to make me sick myself.

"I suppose you're the Queen of Hearts," I called out across the arena, dropping off my horse with a thud, "which is surprising, considering you don't seem to have one."

Emma had traded me my training sword in place of my dagger, which was now trailing against the stone ground behind me as I stalked towards the throne and the woman who sat on it.

Her hair was frizzy and untamed, a horrific red color that reminded me of rotten apples and dead roses. Not to mention, her matching gown, which seemed to be fit for someone of actual class, not a woman who killed for fun. I'd heard the stories about her. I knew what she did to the people of Wonderland, and if forgiveness was still in my mind, it wouldn't be used for her.

She slowly arose from her chair, her thin lips pressed into a distasteful frown.

"The prophecy girl," she sneered, "I was wondering when you'd stop hiding."