Chapter Thirty-One

Ten minutes had passed and I was still in the car

Ten minutes had passed and I was still in the car. As I stared at my steering wheel, the sound of the cars travelled around me. I gripped onto the steering wheel so tight; my knuckles turned white. I couldn't remember the last time I blinked. When my eyes closed, it felt like a mission to open them up again.

Gravity was pulling me down and there was no energy left to get back up. I kept telling myself, this is the right thing. You need to focus on your new life with Calum. My heart and brain weren't allowing me to believe it.

I jumped at the aggressive sound of a car horn. Trying to meditate myself, I breathed in slow and exhaled. Checking myself in the mirror once more, my swollen eyes seem to have reduced. I somewhat looked presentable.

When I reached to the top floor, I looked at my access pass placed between my fingers. A nervous smile escaped my mouth. This pass was my identity, my sense of power, being able to come and go when I pleased. The moment the pass is given back, it'll feel like there's no belonging assigned to me.

As I go to let myself in, the door opened up from the other side. One of the girls jerked back as she noticed me.

"Miss Watts? Are you okay?" She asked in a concerned tone.

Am I okay? No. I am far from okay.

"Yes, I am," briefly responding, I quickly got past, hoping she didn't enquire further. Luckily, I heard her hum and walk away.

All eyes were on me, few of the girls started whispering amongst themselves, I could just about make out what they were saying.

'Why is she here?'

'She doesn't look to good'

'Has she been crying?'

'I thought Alexander gave her time off'

All I wanted to do was turn around and scream. Shout at every single living person here, but what was the point, I'll never see them again.

I gripped the handle to my office door, pausing for a while. After pushing the door, I'm welcomed to the familiarity off my office. I took in every single aspect of my office. I didn't realise before, but it was like my second home.

I had accustomed it to my liking. Knowing that Alexander would have started to look for another assistant, made me feel sick to my stomach. I couldn't let someone claim it as their own, but it had to be done.

"Louisa? What are you doing here?" A familiar, soft low toned voice, broke me out of my thoughts.

When I followed the voice, Alexander was standing in his office doorway. Dressed in a pristine white shirt, that hugged his muscular upper body. The sleeves of his shirt, neatly rolled back, showcasing his lean arms, I've known to love. The white shirt was beautifully tucked, with the help of his black trousers.