Chapter Thirty-Seven

There was nothing magical about this wedding hall I was standing in

There was nothing magical about this wedding hall I was standing in. It wasn't a place where my new life would be starting. It wasn't a place where happiness gushed through me. My mind wasn't allowing me to be present in the same room as everyone else.

It felt like I was in a place far away. The voice projecting from the lady who was officiating our marriage was muffled. Even though she was standing close, it seemed she was miles away.

I looked at the individuals who attended. Smiles everywhere. Happy, witnessing the momentous occasion. If only they knew how much my heart had broken. How much I was hurting on the inside, because I sacrificed my happiness, and for what? For stability? For structure in my life? For a clear path?

Calum's wide grin was plastered on his face. For him this was the happiest day in his life. He took my hand into his, my heart sank, there was no warm feeling. Pure coldness ejected from his hand. Unlike Alexander, there was always a warm feeling embedded in our touch.

"I, Calum Harris, take you, Louisa Watts, to be my wife. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part." Calum uttered the dreaded words.

He placed the wedding band around my delicate finger. For a moment I got lost into the ring, it didn't feel special. There was no symbolism to it. After placing the ring on my finger, he returned to holding my jittering hands.

"Now Louisa, repeat after me," the officiator said.

"I, Louisa Watts."

My ears didn't acknowledge it was my turn to announce my wedding vows. I was so deep and lost in thought, I didn't realise Calum was subtly squeezing my hands, hinting that it was my turn.

"Louisa?" Calum and the officiator both call out my name. My mind half wandered back to the wedding hall. I give a nod and a forceful smile.

"Okay, repeat after me. I, Louisa Watts."

"I... Louisa Watts." I mumbled.

"Take you, Calum Harris."

A strange feeling crept upon me, it was like my mind was elsewhere, yet I still acknowledged where I was. My mouth took over, doing the talking, without me thinking.

The officiator nudges me slightly. "Take you, Calum Harris." She repeated.

I took a deep breath in and exhaled slowly.

"Take you... Alex-CALUM!" I yelped out.

My consciousness was suddenly slammed back into the room full of people. My face drained from every drop of blood in my system. My heart thumped rapidly in my chest. While saying my vows all I could picture was Alexander's heartbroken face in my mind. My lips took over for me as I was about to say his name.

A sudden rumble of gasps escaped the mouths those witnessing our marriage. Each individual was shocked at my blunder. I squirmed on the inside as I saw Calum's face, plastered with puzzlement.