Ninety Two |

Ninety Two |

We moved out not long after that. Oliver wore a backpack on his back, under a sort of fur cape he wore. I found the longer we spent with him, the more intriguing he became. Lisa asked him about the cape, and he responded it was to mask the smell of the dried meat in his bag. It was a bear fur he dried out himself.

Amazing!

Then Oliver held out a small rag to Owl, who growled lowly then took off.

"What's that?" I asked.

He didn't bother turning to face me, "I made one of the dead dogs into a paste earlier."

Disgusting.

"Does that make the scent stronger to track?" Lisa asked.

Oliver now glanced at her, seeming surprised, "Yes. It does."

So we followed. The three of us moving swiftly through the trees, the light of the tower quickly running out and very soon we were running through the darkness. Well, I was certainly fine as was Oliver I assumed. Behind me, I could hear Lisa stumbling. Slowing down, I grabbed her hand with mine. She looked at me through the dark.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

I just shook my head, smiling patiently, "Don't be. We're in this together."

"Right," she whispered, determination lacing her voice.

So we continued, through the forest for what seemed like hours. Until the sun was beginning to rise and through the morning sun I could see the edge of an urban neighbourhood. On the middle of the road was a large black van, and a bunch of Maxwell's guards. Around the van, a bunch of infected dogs.

"He must be there," I whispered.

Oliver hummed, "What should we do?"

Before I could speak, the familiar dog master climbed onto the top of the van. His eyes moved across the forest where we stood and I knew his dogs must had told him we were there. My fingers curled, the skin turning white as I stared at the van. I didn't know what to do. He knew we were here, if we didn't act carefully, he'd be hauling us back to the City of Ash.

It was a stalemate.

He wanted me, and we wanted Sebastian.

"Subject Zero are you there?" he then hollered, "Wait a minute, of course you're there!"

Lisa's grip on my hand tightened.

"Come on out, I'll promise that we won't make any attempt to capture you yet," he called, I could see the stupid grin on his face, "Only you is fine. I'll pretend you don't have a few ants with you. The longer you take, the more I want to cut off our traditors fingers."

"Mira," Lisa whispered.

I shook my head, pulling away from her, "It'll be ok."

Then I stepped forward, out of the trees and into their space. As I walked over slowly, I could hear their guns raise before I could see them. But I didn't stop walking, not until I was at the first few infected dogs. They growled lowly but didn't move. Their master hadn't ordered them to, not yet.

"Ah," he exclaimed delighted, "You came!"

I looked at him carefully, "Where is Sebastian?"