Twenty - One |

Twenty – One |

With the sun hanging in the air, and the carriage that was being pulled by two horses much larger than both Baby and Beast, I was wondering where all the zoms that should be in our path where. Not to mention, as Cici and Leorah sat on the front of the storage carriage, that forced Landon and I to march at the front of the horses and the back of the carriage. I was at the back, Landon at the front. He seemed to have some sort of riffle where I was stuck with a glock. I wondered if that was Alana's doing or his. Didn't matter, I'd rather use my knife in any situation.

"How long until we're there?" I called.

Cici's head popped out slightly, and she smiled at me, "A few days, but we should be back long before Jax and Cam. Hopefully, the weather says nice – I'd look with a tan eh?"

I laughed, shaking my head at her jokes. A juttered moan had me tensing, and quickly slinking along the side of the carriage towards the front. About a hundred meters ahead of us, the stumbling zom was making its way towards us. I watched Landon, he moved towards it raising the rifle.

However, it didn't go off, instead, he smashed the butt of the gun into its face. With an airy moan it fell onto its back. Moving closer, I could now see the features of the zom. Gaps for eyes, and gashes from all over its body. Landon moved towards it again, smashing its brains out with his rifle long after it stopped moving. Long after its brains were splattered across the barren dirt path. I couldn't look away from his barbaric beat down.

Then, as if nothing happened he stood, brushing astray locks of hair from his face and his cold brown eyes sliding over to me briefly. The air was quiet, I was sure even Leorah and Cici were watching the man carefully after that.

"Let's go, I want to find shelter before the sun goes down and it'll be a real pain if the horses get eaten before we get supplies to bring back," he merely stated before beginning to walk back on the way.

And that's how our travel went for the rest of the day. Until the dirt path became a pavement ones and trees became abandoned houses. Once again my guard was up and a sinking feeling in my gut didn't help how I felt. But, I couldn't help it. This was the exact places dad told me never to venture to. Houses meant life, and life now meant death. We shouldn't be here.

"We'll rest here for the night. We'll take turns guarding the horses outside while the rest of us go inside and eat and sleep," Landon ordered.

I chewed on my lip nervously, this sounded like a fucking stupid plan. Whoever made him a general needed to be shot. If Jax was here, I was sure he'd kick Landon's ass. My feet planted as that man floated back into my thoughts.

Jax.

I wondered if he was safe, and anxiety built inside me when I considered the possibility he might not be. Cameron too. Those men were dear to me, and I refused to even think of a world that they weren't in.

"Mira?" A soft voice that brought me comfort, had my eyes raising to Cici, "are you ok?"

I merely nodded. I could admit I was tired and even though the plan was shitty, I was tired. Just as well too, because I wasn't in the mood to argue and I was sure he wouldn't do anything stupid while witnesses were around.

I followed Cici and Leorah inside, Landon had taken the first shift which was also lucky. I wouldn't dare sleep around him. We took base in what looked like a cute little blue house. One that had a dissembled white picket fence, and shattered windows. Pulling out my knife, I carefully crept up the porch and tried the front doors knob. With a click it pushed open and I made my way inside.