30- Mrs Canossa

Sophie POV

The smell of food fills the air when I step out of the bathroom. Did he really cook again? If I didn't know any better I would think this was his plan to get rid of me. Death by Matt's cooking.

I pull my dressing gown closer around me. I feel a little rude wearing my pajamas when I have a guest, but I reason that the guest was uninvited, and not here to see me.

The smell of garlic wafts up my nose as I enter the kitchen seeing Matt's mother stirring a pan while Matt rests against the work surface beside her. Great. Another Canossa to ruin my kitchen.

Matt catches my eye and flashes a smile as if he can read my thoughts.
"Don't worry, Ma is the exception to the Canossa's cooking rule" he explains, causing his Ma to glance at me over her shoulder.

"It's just pasta in tomato sauce, I like that you have basic ingredients, not that jarred nonsense" she compliments with a pointed look at Matt, dropping the spaghetti into the sauce to coat it.

"You didn't need to cook, I would have done it," I offer a little weakly, I suddenly feel awkward having this woman in my house. Yes she's Lili and Matt's mother but I don't know anything about her. Not even her name. I rack my brain to the only other time I met her, trying not to blush. No definitely not given a name.

"Nonsense, I need to make sure my little Nipote is taken care of, Lord knows you couldn't eat Matteo's cooking" she chuckles. I raise an eyebrow at Matt realising she doesn't know why we were at the hospital.

She finishes serving the pasta into three bowls piling them high and turns to face me. Taking my hands in hers she starts inspecting my body with her eyes, it feels a little intrusive so my eyes search for Matt's pleadingly.

"Ma, you're making Sophie uncomfortable," he chastises her, "Sophie don't mind her, come and eat." He orders, offering out his hand.

His mother just grips my hands a little firmer.
"You ran away with my Nipote" She says coldly. I don't know what a Nipote is but I know from the tone this isn't good.

"I'm sorry I don't know what a Nipote is" I reason, "I didn't steal anything though" I quickly add. I feel Matt against my side and look up at him. His hands go to his mother's, physically moving them from mine.

"Nipote means grandchild. You ran away and you took one of my family," She says.

"Ma, drop it. You know why she left, it's more my fault than hers. You're not being fair" Matt defends me. "You don't know anything about Sophie," I slip my hand into his.

I argue for a living but I have no idea what to say right now. It's embarrassing that I'm looking to a man to save me, but I reason that this is his family. It's his place to explain. I have no idea what his Mother knows about his shady job.

Thankfully she seems to have dropped the subject, the hostility leaving as quickly as it appeared. This woman would make a damn intimidating lawyer.

"You're right, I don't know Sophie. But I will get to know her while I stay with you for the next couple of weeks" she says Turning back to the table.

  "Staying with us?" I ask with a worried glance at Matt, I'm glad to see he is equally surprised by this news. This woman clearly isn't my fan and now she wants to stay here?

"Ma, there isn't really any room. I'll arrange a hotel for you," Matt offers, allowing me to breathe easy again.

"I'll take the room Lili used. I don't need much space" she says, taking a seat with a finality that lets us know the conversation is over. Matt looks ready to argue the point but I suspect if he does it will be somehow my fault.

I squeeze his hand gently giving him a shrug and a face that I'm hoping tells him we'll manage.  Then move to the table extending my hand to his mother.

"If we are going to be room mates I think introductions are overdue, I'm Sophie Morley" she eyes my hand suspiciously before accepting it.

"Penelope Canossa," she says bluntly, I take a seat beside Matt who is across from his mother in what he calls his spot. The same position at the table where he 'ate' the first night he stayed here.

As if he can read my mind he gives me a cheeky wink making me look away, covering my laugh with a small cough.

"Thank you for the meal Penelope, it looks delicious" I compliment her swirling the pasta onto my fork. She gives a nod in acknowledgement but doesn't reply.

Matt gives my knee a squeeze in reassurance leaving his hand to rest on my thigh distractingly, as he eats. His hand slowly slides up my leg, his fingers getting dangerously close to the apex of my thighs. I take in a sharp breath when his finger brushes against the crotch of my pajama shorts.

"Did Lili give you this address then?" Matt asks his mother innocently, as if I haven't just had to move his fingers from trying to explore my core across the table from her.

"No, Nico gave me it, after you said you would call and didn't, then neither of you were taking calls. I took Marcello's jet to the Robin Hood airport" she explains.

"Sophie got sick. I had to focus on her" Matt grumbles. We finish our meal in silence Matt helping me clear the dishes away while his mother takes a call in the living room.

"I really didn't know she was coming, I would have stopped her" he whispers, checking over his shoulder. "I'll sleep on the couch while she's here, so you won't be alone with her" he reassures me.

"That won't be necessary" I whisper back,

"You want me to get a hotel?" He asks, sounding surprised.

"No I meant, well just that, I mean if you wanted to share with me. That would be ok. If you wanted to." I explain, suddenly feeling flustered. I know we kissed earlier and he flirted over dinner but we haven't really had time to talk about what that means for us.

Matt moves to stand behind me, his body pressed against my back, his breath tickles my neck as he whispers in my ear.
"Are you planning to seduce me with my Ma sleeping next door? Do you really think you can handle that?" I feel my face burning hot at his suggestion.

"I never! I didn't!" I splutter, spinning to face him "We can't! She would hear us" I finish.

"That sounds like my kind of challenge" he smiles leaning down to give me a kiss that leaves me breathless and wanting more.