| Chapter Ten |

New York, 2021 (Present Day)

A tender hand brushed along the nape of Ruth's neck, drawing Ruth away from her computer for the first time in hours with the simple touch. She didn't mean to- of course she never meant to, but she flinched away instinctually, her mind still stuck in the midst of her heartache. When her gaze swiveled up from her laptop to the girl staring at her with such sadness in her eyes, her chest squeezed just that much more and the only thing she could offer was a forced smile and meek apology.

Emily removed her hand from Ruth's shoulder. Disappointment flickered in their dark depths, but she did her best to appear more reassuring. "Just me, Ruth."

Ruth said nothing, only nodding solemnly. There was a question in Emily's eyes, but instead of forcing the words from Ruth's lips, she asked her something else entirely. Something safe that required little effort on Ruth's part. She never wanted to force anything out of Ruth when she wasn't ready.

"Want me to make you some breakfast?" Emily murmured, brushing the dark curls out of Ruth's eyes. Slowly, she closed them, allowing the brief moment of comfort to wash over her, though a part of her cringed internally when she touched her hair. Again.

"Please," she breathed.

She just wanted to breathe.

But she couldn't. Not yet.

Emily being there, making her breakfast, was exactly what she needed instead of focusing on something as mundane as breathing. Emily to be distracted and her to pull herself out of this weird funk she'd been in for the last few weeks. She needed the comfort she wasn't afraid to offer, and Ruth mentally told herself that she'll tell Em what's been going on with her soon. She promised this to herself.

She just needed to hold up her end of the bargain.

And somehow, she'll find a way. For Emily, who deserved the world.

And the truth.

*****