Precedent

Jaredeth cradled Jaliah close to his chest and rocked the chair back and forth while humming an old lullaby his mother used to sing to him. He didn't know what ungodly hour it was, but after his council meeting he'd sat in the throne room for what felt like an eternity to hold an audience with the public. And just when he thought his day was done, he had yet another meeting with the ambassador of Tandridge to discuss his upcoming trip.

By the time he got upstairs the sun had long set, and yet Jaliah had still been up, fussing with Rynn and his mother. As bone weary as he was, he couldn't pass up a chance to spend some time with his daughter, considering he'd be away from home in a week.

"She is a darling child," Genevieve said as she sat in the armchair next to him. "They're sweet at that age. And then they get older and start berating you for not giving them a sibling."

Jaredeth made a face. "I'm sorry, mother, alright? I won't bring it up again."

"I'm just teasing you, son." She tucked her legs up in the chair and turned to face him. "Havers told me your first Council meeting took an interesting turn. Makes me regret not staying longer."

"Interesting isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe it. I'm just shocked at the High Priest's behaviour. I know necromancy is outlawed, but a child? Come on." Just thinking about it left a horrid taste in Jaredeth's mouth.

Genevieve sighed. "Lazarus' grandstanding doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He's always acting like he has some sort of authority. You predecessors gave the Divine City far too much power here, and ever since your grandfather removed them from the Councillor's table, they've been trying to muscle their way back."

"But our alliance is what keeps Avaly safe from the netherborne, so I have to keep them happy. Or at least content."

"You really think so?" Genevieve asked with a snort. "Jaredeth, darling, if a big enough threat darkens this kingdom's doorstep, there is nothing the Divine City can do to help us. They talk a lot of big talk, but when it comes time to face the Calamity, they cower just like the rest of us."

Jaredeth opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't refute his mother's point. He'd yet to see, hear or read of the Divine City preventing any major threats to Avaly.

"You know your wife went to her parent's house to meet with Lazarus tonight, yes?"

He almost sat up, but remembered Jaliah on his chest at the last moment. "Meeting with him again? Do you know why?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, son. I told you to be careful." Genevieve sighed. "She's already not very fond of me and probably isn't fond of your turning to me and not her for advice."

Jaredeth knitted his brow. "That's nonsense. Elaine loves you dearly."

"A few weeks ago, she came to me asking for advice on how to be a good queen. And well." His mother shrugged. "She wasn't too fond of my answer. I told her Queen is essentially just an accessory and has no real political power. So she should focus on looking pretty for the press and not embarrassing the royal house."

He grimaced—a harsh answer, but true. A Queen had never sat on the Council, never operated in any official capacity on behalf of the crown. Even before assuming the throne, he'd never decided what role his wife would play during his rule. He'd much rather her be there for Jaliah. They couldn't both neglect their child to wrap themselves up in politics.

Jaredeth opened his mouth to speak, but a knock sounded on the nursery door. His wife stepped inside, her eyes landing on him before drifting to his mother. Her lips formed a tight smile. "Ms Genevieve. If you'll excuse us, I'd like a word with my husband, please."

Genevieve's eyebrows shot up. "Don't mind me. I was just leaving." She reached over and squeezed Jaredeth's arm. "Kiss the little one for me."

When the door clicked shut, Jaredeth stood and carried Jaliah to her crib and pressed a kiss to each of her chubby cheeks before nestling her in the bedding.

"Where's Rynn?" Elaine asked from behind him.

"She went to bed an hour ago, but Jaliah was fussing, so I stepped in." He took his coat from the back of the rocking chair and headed for the door that adjoined their rooms. "And where did you run off to?"

Elaine followed him into their bedchamber and sat in an armchair near the hearth. "I went to see my parents. They send their regards."

Jaredeth nodded and sat on the bed to relieve himself of his suffocating formal wear. "So what is it you needed to talk about?"

She was silent a long moment and when he looked over her eyes were on the hearth, the flames flickering in her eyes. "About what happened at the council meeting." She said the words tentatively, as though she expected an adverse reaction from him.

For her sake, Jaredeth held back a groan. "What of it?"

"I'm not sure if letting those people go so easily was the right choice. Or your choice to make."

Jaredeth scrunched his brow. "Am I not King?"

"You are but..." She sighed. "You have a Council for a reason. You can't just make all the decisions on your own."

"I made one decision, Elaine. No laws were broken, and those people were leaving, anyway. So you'll have to forgive me for not seeing the point in wasting an hour deliberating and bickering over what is and isn't necromancy."

"Jaredeth—"

"Would you rather me lop that child's head off then and there? Would that have made you happy?"

"This isn't about that, Jaredeth." Elaine finally looked at him. "You undermined their authority. They're officials who represent your people, and you treated them as though they have no power. It was your first Council meeting, and you steamrolled them. Do you understand what kind of precedent that sets?"

"The precedent that I don't enjoy wasting my time. They could've deliberated until they were blue in the face and nothing they said would've changed my mind. Time and time again my father overruled them, they should be used to it by now." He flung his pants over the screen with more force than necessary, and took a moment to breathe, rein in his temper. "I don't wish to discuss this further with you. What's done is done."

Elaine sighed and shook her head. "So it is, Jaredeth. So it is."