Closure

Jaredeth rode his horse along the private docks, the clop of its hooves echoing off the wood. The sun was behind the castle, suffusing its outline in a warm, yellow glow. A chilly breeze blew off the ocean and snuck under his coat.

He hadn't been back at the docks since the day he'd left for Tandridge. It looked empty without the Valkyrie moored to the posts. Instead, there was a small passenger boat bobbing in the water. Guards milled around, getting the last of the supplies on board and patrolling the horse-drawn wagon parked on the east side.

Torrian rode alongside him and barked orders at his subordinates. Move this, check that. He'd told Jaredeth not to come, that he could take care of this. Which Jaredeth was sure he could. But he needed to witness this. For closure.

"Are we ready?" Torrian asked his second. At the man's nod, he dismounted his horse and gestured at the guards near the wagon. "Bring her out."

Two guards opened the back of the horse-drawn wagon and out came Elaine, her hands and feet shackled. She'd lost some weight during her extended stay in the dungeons. Her hair was pulled back into a bun, and she wore a floral cotton shift—a far cry from her silks and jewels. The Council had spared her at Jaredeth's behest, but her crimes would not go unpunished.

Elaine turned her gaze to Jaredeth. Her eyes weren't hard and cold like they were when he visited her in the dungeon. They were soft, glossy with tears, pleading. Perhaps all those raw emotions had burnt away when she watched her co-conspirators face the guillotine.

But they made his skin itch. He did love Elaine. She gave him a family, a daughter. The knowledge that it was all fake along with her betrayal still haunted him, still hurt him, like a knife lodged in his chest. He doubted he'd ever be able to pull it out.

The Chaplain unrolled the parchment and cleared his throat. "Elaine Bouvoire, for your crimes against the throne, you are hereby sentenced to exile. At the behest of his Majesty, King Jaredeth Archenhaud Valentius III, you will be escorted to North Nessoria. Should you set foot in Avalian territory thereafter, you will be executed on sight. May the gods have mercy on your soul."

Elaine hung her head as the guards escorted her up the gangplank. And Jaredeth turned away. He'd seen all he needed to see. But as he led his horse back up the dock, he could feel Elaine's eyes on him. Her pleading stare filled his subconscious and would surely haunt him in his dreams.

He took the long way back to the castle. What Quintus had called the scenic route the night they burned down the Cathedral. The sight was no longer tarnished by the bone dragon's cloud, and warm sunlight glittered on the ocean's waters. A few sailboats drifted along, enjoying the first calm day they'd had in months.

What Jaredeth wouldn't give to drift in those calm waters, too. There was still so much that needed to be done, even this long ride back to the castle was cutting dangerously into his work time. He worked his horse from a canter to a gallop and made it back to the castle before the sun breached its lowest pinnacle.

From there, he handed his horse off to a stable hand and made his way to his office. When he burst through the double doors, he met it just as he'd left it the day before, filled with things that needed his attention. Someone cleared their throat beside him. He turned and found his mother seated on the couch with Jaliah clinging to her shoulder.

"Sorry, mother, I didn't see you there." He leaned over and kissed her cheek, and rubbed Jaliah's head. "Was there something you needed?"

Genevieve arched a brow as she bounced Jaliah on her lap. "Something I needed? I need to see my son. To make sure he's still a human and not a reanimated corpse obsessed with work. I feel like I haven't spoken to you in ages."

"I apologize." He sat at his desk. "Things have been busy."

"Too busy for your family?"

Jaredeth raked a hand through his hair and breathed a sigh through his nose. "You know it's not like that. I have a duty to the people of Avaly."

"Dear gods." She wrinkled her nose as though she'd smelled something foul. "You sound just like your father. Do you know how many times I begged him to get out of this office for one minute and spend some time with you?"

"I know. I know." He wasn't willfully neglecting his mother and Jaliah. There were just so many things that needed his attention right now. "I'm sure things will get quieter soon. I just need time."

His mother closed her eyes briefly. "I couldn't care less if you came to visit me or not. But Jaliah needs you. Now more than ever."

"What will you have me do, mother? Abandon my duties? I'd love nothing more than to spend the whole day with you two, but—"

"There should be no buts. How much do you trust your current Council?" she asked before he could get another word in.

Jaredeth leaned back in his seat and considered the question. More than half the current council was made up of people he'd trust with his life, though he didn't know why that mattered. "I trust them a lot. Perhaps more than anyone else in this country."

"Then delegate more duties to us. Lighten your load. As it is now, we just stand around waiting for direction from you."

"But father—"

His mother put a hand up to silence him. "Don't go there. After Beravon left, your father had a Council full of snakes. You do not."

Jaredeth took a moment to consider her words and nodded. "I understand. Thank you for your wise words, mother. I'll think it over and bring it up at the meeting tomorrow."

"Good." She stood and brought Jaliah to him. "Say goodbye to papa." Jaliah grabbed onto his face with more force than was necessary or comfortable and blew raspberries onto his cheek.

And he did the same in return. "I'll see you soon, love."