Heavy Is The Head

Dear King Rakki,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I write to inform you of the ever-changing situation in East Urath. I'm afraid the netherborne here in this region are growing desperate, hungry. Perhaps because they grow short on food.

In my travels, I've seen no less than three ruined cities and two that came close to falling to the Calamity. As I write to you, I am recovering from one such attack in the village of Ewell, some eighty leagues southeast of the Yarrow mountain range.

I know we've been cautious about our dealings in this region, but perhaps it is time for us to assert a stronger presence here, lest what's left of humanity falls to the Calamity. Should you decide to act on my council, we must move with haste.

Should Celesta already be in your company at the time of receipt, give her my love.

Forever in your service,

Lord Quintus Evander Sarahi.

Quintus signed the letter with his symbol, sealed it with wax, and stuffed it in the canister Lady Ansel provided him. The postmark for the Summersong Mountains had been burnished onto its surface. They had a boat carrying passengers headed for the southern continents later that day.

Knowing King Rakki, he'd tell Quintus to handle it himself. "You're a strong enough necromancer. You can move a mountain with your song," he'd say. Quintus usually left the diplomatic work to Celesta, who had far more patience and grace in one finger than he had in his entire body.

"Quintus," Lady Ansel called. She sat in the window overlooking the village. In the days following the attack, most of the debris had been cleared away. They'd built a pyre for the dead and were now sending out boats to retrieve supplies and help from neighbouring and faraway countries.

Lady Ansel, for her part, seemed a gracious and well-liked leader. He'd watch her spend the better part of the morning with people in and out of her office, asking for guidance in coordinating the cleanup effort. Where can we put this? What should we do about that, they'd ask. And she'd have an answer every time.

"Yes, ma'am," he answered, putting on a smile.

"Are there others... like you in this region?" she asked.

"Necromancers. You can say it." Quintus rolled the canister between his fingers. "And not as far as I know. There were two others travelling with me, but one went over the mountains to Tandridge and the other went home to the Mountains. Why do you ask?"

She breathed a sigh through her nose. "I fear what may happen should more netherborne come. The walls we've built around this village, the guards we've trained, they're not enough to keep the Calamity at bay. I'm not sure what to do."

"You could always ask the Divine City for help," he suggested.

Her face contorted into a snarl. "I'd rather not have dealings with them." She said them as though she were talking about some vicious netherborne and not the seat of the holy church.

"Not a fan, I'm guessing?" Quintus arched a brow.

Lady Ansel rose from her seat and crossed to another window that overlooked the garden. "My family has governed the affairs of Ewell for over a century. I know the Divine City will offer aid if I ask. They'll come in all nice and reassuring, ask for a bit of land to erect one of their eyesores." She picked up a little pail and watered the planters filled with succulents that sat in the window. "But that won't be enough. They'll want power, a position as advisor, ambassador, something. And the next thing I know, they'll be sitting here, in my office. By the time I realise what's happening, my birthright would be snatched away."

Quintus gave a slow smile. The Lady was even wiser than he'd given her credit for. "I understand."

"My father ruled before me and he went so far as to cut our ties with Avaly. We haven't sent boats there since before I was born. We only recently reestablished relations with Tandridge after the Cathedral there was closed."

"So you're saying there are few you can turn to now."

She nodded. "Ewell will need protection. The netherborne don't give up that easily. But... my people are wary of necromancers as much as I am wary of the Divine City. I am at an impasse."

"Your people have witnessed firsthand what happens when the Calamity goes unchecked. Ask them if they value their pride more than their lives and then you'll have your answer." He stood and left the canister standing upright on the desk. "Should you want a few necromancers stationed here permanently, write to the address on this. Feel free to invoke my name."

Lady Ansel smiled. "I will bring it up in the next town hall. You and your friend are leaving tomorrow, yes?"

"Indeed, we are." As much as Quintus was enjoying the warm bed and free food, he and Gavrael needed to be on their way.

"Come down by the west garden in the morning. I have a parting gift for you two."

"How generous." Quintus inclined his head in a small bow and headed out of the office. He almost bumped into Kaya in the hall. He grinned at her. "How's your arm?"

She rubbed her wrist. "Still hurts too much to swing a sword, but I'll manage. Ice helps." She flicked her head towards the door. "Lady Ansel's busy?"

"For now, I suppose. There was a deluge of people earlier."

"Cool well, see you around. Also, your friend was looking for you."

Quintus waved over his shoulder as he retreated down the hall. Speaking of Gavrael, they needed to talk about where they'd go next. There weren't many more populated places in this region and so far, no one had recognized him.

Of the few places left, the Forbidden City was one of them—a place deemed a no-go zone since they enacted laws that banned necromancy, and went so far as to execute those suspected of the practice. He'd rather avoid there altogether. At this rate, they may have to rely on his memory to save him.