Seranade

Quintus sent the last wineglass on the table and filled it halfway. He'd ran away from the Council chamber as soon as he could to avoid getting swept up in the whirlwind of politics that followed Gav's return. Havers had shown him to the castle's observatory—the highest point in the country.

The circular room sat in the south tower, and was half stone, half enormous glass windows. It afforded a view of the capital from the park beyond the south gardens all the way out to the gulf. But more important than that, it was the perfect place to send a song over the mountains to Octavia. He'd spent a meticulous two hours alone setting up his glass harp, ensuring each glass was perfectly in tune.

Quintus dipped his finger in the pitcher of water and ran it along the rim of the glass. A soft, sweet chime rose from the crystal and resonated through the room. He smiled. It had been some time since he'd played these. Hopefully, Jaredeth wouldn't be too long. Quintus had asked him to drop by if he got a spare moment.

An involuntary smile crossed his face at the thought of the King and a cold wave of dread immediately followed. No, dear gods, no. What in damnation was this warm feeling in his chest? Was he...? He thought back to that morning, when they stood at the entrance to the passageway. The sheer terror he'd felt in that moment.

He'd been worried Gavrael was falling in love with him, but what if... Dear gods, what if he was the one doing the falling? Quintus froze with his hands poised over the cups, and the room suddenly felt small, too small. Like the walls were pressing in on him. No, he needed to get out of here. He couldn't fall for the King of the forbidden city. As soon as he burned down that cathedral, he'd pack his bundle and be on the first ship he could find.

"Am I too late?"

Quintus startled and turned to see Jaredeth at the top of the steps. He had a sling tied across his body, and in said sling was a little girl. She had Jaredeth's soft features and stormy eyes and the queen's dimple in her left cheek.

"Well, who is this?" Quintus asked, quickly composing himself.

Jaredeth smiled at the little girl, the brightest and warmest smile Quintus had ever seen grace his face. "This is Jaliah, my little girl." He rubbed the little girl's head. "Jaliah, this is Quintus."

"Hello Jaliah." Quintus extended his hand, and Jaliah caught his thumb in a tight grip. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Your father never shuts up about you." Jaliah made an unintelligible cooing noise.

Jaredeth's smile grew. "I think she likes you."

"I think she's a child with no concept of like or dislike." Quintus took his thumb back and turned to his glass harp. "I should start now, don't want to keep you away from your adoring public too long."

Jaredeth crossed to the window and looked out. "Are you going to send the song to your friend now?"

"That's the plan." Quintus filled a small wooden bowl to keep his hands wet.

"And you're absolutely certain she can help?"

"Jaredeth, I would bet my life on Octavia. The question isn't whether or not she can help. It's whether or not she'll hear the song in time. This would be easier with another necromancer, but..." He shrugged. "I'll manage."

Jaredeth nodded. "And I'm here because? You wish to serenade me?"

Quintus coughed. Now who's teasing who. "Well, I figured you could use a break. And you've only ever seen me use my necromancy to fight. So here's some fresh perspective for you."

"Very well. At your leisure." He leaned against the opposite wall and bounced Jaliah in his arms.

Quintus sucked in a deep breath of salty air. He hadn't used this much necromancy in a while; he had to be careful. He dipped his finger in the water, flicked off the excess and poised his hands over the glasses. Over the mountains, all the way to Tandridge, even if Octavia didn't hear, one of the other necromancers stationed there should.

He stroked the first glass and its chime snaked out the window, flew over the city and shot across the gulf. His next note followed, pushing the first onward. This song was his signature, the one he played when there was a city-level emergency. He hadn't played it in a long time: had no reason to. Octavia and Celesta were the heroes; he was the one who wandered around aimlessly.

Gav had done what they or even King Rakki couldn't: turned him into a hero. At least temporarily. But he couldn't keep on like this. He knew their fight against the Calamity would end with humanity being overrun. It was inevitable with the way the scourge was evolving. But the humans didn't need to know that. They didn't need to lose heart.

So when the last note of his song rang out, he turned and gave Gavrael the most hopeful smile he could muster.

***

New Cover :D