Eight: Don't break the Guy Code

"I'm just not appealing. That must be it. Right, Ed?" Harry asked, as the commercials came on.

"I'll tell you one thing, H. I'm like, the sexiest guy I know and I don't have a girlfriend. But that doesn't mean I'm not appealing, now does it?" Ed reasoned, grabbing a handful of the chips that were right in front of him. "You just have to make a plan. Things like this never work without a plan."

Harry furrowed his eyebrows and crossed his legs. "What kind of a plan?"

"Something among the lines of a ten week plan. Each week, you do something for or with Clara, then as the weeks go by, she'll find herself becoming more and more attracted to you! It'll be great."

"Hell no! That plan sounds absolutely ridiculous. Why would I take advice from you?" Harry wondered. Ed hadn't had a girlfriend since the eleventh grade, which had Harry a bit skeptical of his plan.

"Take it or leave it," Ed answered, without making eye contact. After a couple of moments he said, "but I do know a guy who is amazing with the ladies. He's actually gonna be at my gig tonight."

"I-I don't know, Ed. I just don't think I'm fit out for her, you know? She just seems too perfect." He complained to his best friend, not giving himself any credit.

"Just talk to Louis tonight, then get back to me all right?" His best mate negotiated, doing anything to help out Harry with his girl problems.

"Yeah. Okay."
__________

"And next, we have Toronto's very own... Ed Sheeran!" The owner of the bar said enthusiastically before handing the microphone over to Ed.

Before anyone knew it, the sound of Ed's angelic voice flooded the bar. Harry though, was busy chatting away with Louis about his very unsuccessful love life.

"She's like a ten and I'm a solid five." Harry explained to Louis.

"Give yourself the benefit of the doubt, man! You're like a six. Tops." Louis joked. "But really, you need to pull the classic 'I'm not going to be the conversation starter' move. Leave her longing your presence."

"That doesn't work in movies, what makes you think it's going to work now?" Harry argued getting a bit fed up with Louis' ideas.

"Well, if it doesn't work in movies, I was kinda hoping it would work in real life. This has never been a problem for me, by the way. The girls come to me." Louis mentioned, taking a big swig of his beer. "Oh, I love this song, Ed sounds great!"

"You, my friend, have been no help." Harry said, slapping Louis on the back. "But you're one hell of a time. So, I'll call you sometime. Tell Ed I'm heading home."

"But you're the designated driver!" Louis whined. "Ed's going to get smashed with me tonight, man! Don't be a Debbie downer!"

"I am most certainly not a Debbie downer! I can have fun and stay sober!" Harry argued, then called the waitress over. "Can I have a coke, please?"

"Sure," said the waitress. "Did you want it in a baby bottle to?"

"No," he said angrily.

[TEXTING THREAD]

Clara: Hi Harry. I need pictures of the textbook pages. 121-135, since you spilt coffee all over my book.

Harry: Oh, hi, Clary. Sure, can you just give me like twenty minutes?

Clara: Sure!
_____

"Lou, man, I've seriously got to go. Clara needs my textbook!" Harry explained to a very uninterested Louis.

"So you're just going to drop everything for some girl who doesn't even really like you that way? You're dishonouring the Guy Code." Louis drunkenly spoke.

"I'm way past the 'Guy Code' stage. Sorry Louis. I've got to go! I'll see you later!" Harry bid his farewell while putting on his sweater.
____

Didn't take Harry long to get home. On his way home, he had a brilliant idea. Instead of sending it to her over text, he could be a gentleman and go and hand deliver Clara his book, and he could potentially stay for a bit and talk to her. Hell, maybe even hug her. But that's too much to ask. Well, for Harry at least.

Before he knew it, he was at her doorstep with the book by Charles Dickens in his hands, more than ready to see her. He rings the doorbell- and only once. He remembered how much Clara hated double ringers.

The door opened and it revealed a face that Harry was excited to see; Clara's.

"Hi, Clarity! I've got the book. I thought it would be easier for you to read it if you actually had the book!" Harry said with a big smile.

Clara smiled and took the book from Harry. He stood at the door, almost as if he were expecting something. She slowly started to close the door until he put his hand on the door, preventing it from closing.

"Wait! Wait, Clara." Harry said, trying to think on his feet of what he was going to say to her. "I just wanted to say that there's a Lord of the Rings TV marathon that you might want to watch...together?"

Clara felt a her cheeks rush red. But was quick to shake her head no. "Not tonight, Harry."

"You always say that! Why aren't you giving me a chance?" He wondered, getting upset. "I'm just trying to be friends with you and you're shutting me out! That isn't what friends do!"

Clara just opened her door a crack more with a genuine smile on her face, inviting him in. For once.
____________

Merci!