Chapter 13: Red Velvet Cupcake

By the time the final bell rang that day, the hallways were already crowded with kids ready to go home. I was one of them, but unlike most, I couldn't wait to share the awesome news with my parents!

No doubt, they would be proud, especially Dad, who practically treats Pinecrest High's school plays like the Super Bowl.

As I walked to my locker, senior kids chatted about the upcoming audition. A massive grin took over my face, and I threw them a casual "Good luck, guys!"

On my way out, I met Penny, and we briefly discussed the character she wanted to audition for. At first, I thought she was joking about trying out for Anne Dunnings, the female lead, but when she quoted a couple of Anne's lines I knew by heart, I realized she was serious. Dead serious.

As her best friend, I felt obligated to help. I gave her some tips as we walked to the rack near the school's parking lot.

"You're eighteen and still rocking that relic your dad gave you on your fifteenth birthday," Penny teases about my beloved bike. "Why didn't you ask for a car on your eighteenth birthday?""

Rolling my eyes, I unlocked my bike. "I like riding this. Plus, I'm all about the eco-friendly, two-wheeled lifestyle."

"Whatever. Tell Mr. Scott and Melissa some nice words about me, okay? I need this part," she bossily instructed, but I just ignored it.

Penny was taller and looked imposing, but she wasn't the boss. I learned that on the first day we met at Adam's 9th birthday party. She may sound commanding, but that's just how she is.

"Penny, you don't need me for that. Just memorize your lines and know the character. If you do that, you'll get the part," I assured her.

She sighed and quickly said goodbye when her mom's car came into view.

"Hi, Wendy," Mrs. Watsons greeted me, showing all her white teeth.

"Penny's still not allowed to drive, huh?" I asked, and Penny's face turned grumpy as she sat in the passenger's seat.

Mrs. Watsons shook her head. "Nope. Toby's car is in the garage with a broken bumper and headlights. Her brother's upset, and I don't think she'll be driving anytime soon."

"I'll work overtime at Inked and buy my own car," Penny said, looking upset.

"Oh, really? I thought you were saving cash for your Nepal trip," Mrs. Watsons said, hinting at a possible argument with Penny. "See you around, Wednesday." She waved and drove off.

Poor Penny. Her parents never liked Inked and even started a petition to close the shop. Luckily, the mayor thought it was ridiculous, and most people in our town agreed. I, on the other hand, felt bad for my best friend. If only they could see her doodles, they'd realize how talented she truly was. And if the Inked boss could drop the attitude and give Penny a gig beyond sweeping and scrubbing, she'd be boosting their business.

Shaking off that sad chapter in Penny's teen life, I hopped on my bike and set a course for home. Lucky for me, our house wasn't far from Pinecrest High, so asking for a car for my birthday to commute to and from school wasn't really on my wishlist. In fact, 15 minutes later, I'm already cruising into our driveway.

Bailing off my bike, I raced toward the house as thunder growled from the heavily overcast sky. The old Ford parked in our driveway indicated that Mom and Belle were already home, probably enjoying some snacks Dad had made before leaving the house that morning.

Walking into the kitchen, as expected, Mom and Belle were already there, indulging in a clubhouse sandwich.

"Hello, sweetheart," Mom greeted, taking a bite of her slice of sandwich. "Your dad has outdone himself again. This is amazing," she said, pointing at the plate. "Have some."