Chapter 36: Adam's Birthday, Penny's Party

As Mom's car made its way out of Adam's driveway, the sound of the tires crunching on the sloping gravel path echoed through the street. I was standing alone on the sidewalk, my fingers tightly wrapped around the gift-wrapped present I had brought for Adam's birthday.

I gazed up at the Brown's house, and a wave of nostalgia washed over me, taking me back to the carefree days of my childhood spent with my best friend. The same old house stood tall in front of me, with its familiar brick walls, white window frames, and neatly trimmed lawn. But on this special day, as my friend turned 18, something felt different.

I turned toward the front door and my stomach fluttered. I knew every inch of this house—the porch steps, the old 'Welcome' doormat, the hallway lined with photos chronicling Adam and Audrey's childhood. But today, for the first time, I felt nervous to cross that threshold.

Letting myself in, I was greeted by the cozy living room decorated for Adam's 18th birthday. Gone were the piles of books that usually littered the floor; instead, colorful streamers and balloons filled the space.

"Wendy! You made it!" Penny exclaimed, appearing from the kitchen.

I raised an eyebrow. "Looks like you went all out on the party decorations."

Penny waved a hand dismissively. "Oh, you know, Adam would've just thrown up some half-deflated balloons. I wanted to make his 18th special."

I chuckled. That was Penny, steamrolling ahead to make things happen her way.

Glancing around, I recognized a few faces from the school play mingling awkwardly. And before I could say anything, the front door opened again.

"No way," I muttered under my breath, seeing Megan enter hand-in-hand with Brinson.

After Mason went mad during rehearsals, I assumed he and Megan were through. But is she moving on with Brinson? Shocking.

Penny followed my glance, and her eyes didn't mirror my shock. I grabbed her arm. "Well, this night just got a lot more interesting!"

"They're dating, don't you know?" she said, like it was already old news.

"What?" I shook my head with a laugh. So this was happening during the holiday?

Penny grabbed my arm and pulled me into the kitchen, warm and filled with the sweet smells of baking. Adam's mom turned from the oven, face lighting up, while Melissa stood at the counter, drizzling red icing with the same focus she gave to titrating solutions in Chem lab.

Hold on. Melissa is in the kitchen helping Mrs. Brown? Did I miss an episode where Melissa and Adam actually became friends?

"Wendy, sweetie!" Mrs. Brown saw me and immediately swept me into a flour-dusted embrace hug before I could dodge the flour on her apron. I stumbled, nearly dropping Adam's present.

Melissa caught it with one hand, giving me a knowing look. "Here you go."

"I'm so glad you could make it," Mrs. Brown added, cupping my cheek. I bit my lip and managed a smile.

Then the kitchen door swung open, and everything slowed. Adam strode in, tall and broad-shouldered in his sweater. The one I'd helped pick out last Christmas.

We hadn't spoken since Christmas break, not since the second kiss. My heart hammered when our eyes met for the first time in weeks.

"Wendy. You came." He smiled.

I tried to smile back casually, despite the skittering nerves in my stomach. "Of course," I said, clutching the birthday gift I'd wrapped and rewrapped at least five times.