Ch 23:Walking on eggshells

Recap:

"You're scaring me, 'brina" she says.

"Well, in freshmen year, I met Jace, remember?" I ask.

End of recap.

"Off course I do. I hated that brat back then! Correction: I still do" she says.

"Count me in, Mum" I say.

"So whatever you're about to tell me, does it have something to do with him?" She asks.

"Pretty much" I say.

"What's it?" She asks.

"Mom you gotta promise me that you won't look at me differently after I tell you all about it" I say to her.

"You know I'd never do that" she says.

"Yeah well...Jace was kinda a-abusive towards me" I say, not looking into her eyes.

"He wouldn't dare!" She says in a stern voice.

"He hurt me, Mom. All those nights when you and Dad weren't at home, he used to visit me. And that wasn't very nice. He did things to me and h-he"

"He what, 'brina?!" She asks.

"He assaulted me, sexually" I say.

"He raped you?" She asks.

"Yes" I say.

And the moment I said the word, I could see her face turning pale.

"Mom, you alright?" I ask.

"You're seriously asking me if I'm alright after listening to what you just said?" She says, with no expression, yet again.

"I mean I don't know what to-"

"How long has this been going for?" She asks.

"It stopped three months back when Ryan helped me break up with him" I say to her.

"And you choose to tell me about it now?!" She says, unable to hold her tears anymore.

"I was scared. I didn't know how you'd react. And I knew you never liked the idea of me and Jace dating. I thought you'd blame me if you got to know what he did" I say to her.

"That's it. I'm getting out of here" she says as she walks out the door.

"Mom! Wait!" I yell behind her.

"Mrs. Adams! What happened? Why are you leaving so early?" asks Ryan.

"If you heard what she said to me, you'd leave too" she says to him, in a fit of rage.

"What did you say to her, 'brina?" He asks me.

"I told her what happened with me and Jace" I say to him.

"Ma'am, with due respect, you aren't supposed to walk away slamming the door when your daughter just told you that she'd been raped" he says to her.

"Ry, it's not what you think" I say to him.

"Then what is it?" He asks.

"I told her why I waited for this long to let her know about what happened to me two years back" I said to him.

"You wanna hear the reason she gave me for keeping this hidden?" Mom asks Ryan.

"What did she say?" He asks her as he pulls me closer to him.

"She thought that we would blame her for what happened just because we didn't approve of their relationship" she says.

"What-"