36 - pauses, then says, 'you're my best friend'

SKYLAR

Something I think I recognized as one of P!nk's songs woke me up the next morning. It was coming from the hallway, and then I realized that Taylor was singing — or more like screaming — along to it.

"But I can't shake the feeling! That you picture a better life! Better wife! Better nights! Better high! I-II can't shake the feeling! Oh! Do you picture a better life?!"

I lay down again and pressed a pillow to my ear to block her out, but the music and the singing only got louder. I opened my eyes when I realized Taylor had opened my bedroom door and saw her dancing her way toward my bed.

"I've been all night looking in the eyes of my baby, right in front of me, what a gift so amazing! Oh! And that's what's true," she sang loudly and started pulling away my covers with a grin. It annoyed me but at the same time I couldn't stop grinning at her.

"Get out!" I laughed and pointed to the door while trying to take control of the sheets.

"The trip's today!" Taylor replied happily as she let go of the bed sheets and started dancing and singing again in front of me. "But I can't shake the feeling! That you picture a better life, better wife, better nights, better high! I-II can't shake the feeling-!"

I looked over and saw Joe walking past the doorway in a blue t-shirt and pajama pants. He stopped right outside my door and looked into the room with a tired but amused expression as if he was only semi-awake.

"Joe! Please! Get your girlfriend outta here!" I shouted over the music, interrupting Taylor who smiled over at him.

"Hi babe!" she called out happily.

He looked back and forth between us a few times before he slowly shook his head from side to side and proceeded down the hall.

"Thanks for the help!" I shouted after him, glancing back over at Taylor. She had sat down on the floor and was cuddling Benji who'd been sleeping in my bed during the night.

I didn't have a lot of success getting Taylor out of my room, and Connor walked in a minute later looking like he just woke up. He'd also apparently been awakened by the loud music and wondered what was going on, and we started getting ready for the day soon after that.

About an hour later, Connor and I sat in the foyer playing with Benjamin while we waited for Taylor or Joe to tell us that we were ready to leave. Taylor, dressed in sandals and a plain white t-shirt tucked into a yellow floral midi skirt, walked through the front door and smiled down at us. "Have you guys packed everything?"

"Yup, it's in the car," Connor replied, and I nodded with my head buried in Benji's fur.

"I think so," I mumbled.

Taylor raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms, looking like she didn't believe me. "You think so? Can you check again for me please?"

I made a tired face and looked up at her. "Do I have to? Why?"

"Because I know you."

I rolled my eyes at her. "Ugh, that's so annoying."

She furrowed her eyebrows confused. "That I know you?"

"No, when people say that."

Taylor held her palms up in front of her and gave me a closed lip smile. "Well, I do, and I know that you tend to forget things. I'm just saying, we're not turning back around if you've forgotten something." She started walking past us and I stood up.

"Fine, I'll check."

She turned her head to smile at me. "Thank you."

I quickly went upstairs to check my room but I didn't see anything so I made my way downstairs again, just as Taylor walked out of the living room, coming from the kitchen with a Whole Foods reusable bag. "Well?"