43 - people throw rocks at things that shine

SKYLAR

I stood in front of the mirror, admiring the bomber jacket that I was wearing from Taylor's collaboration with Stella McCartney. My laptop was sitting on top of the dresser, next to the mirror, with Corinne's bedroom covering the screen. She was sitting at her desk doing her homework about the French Revolution, and we'd been on the Skype call for hours.

"Wasn't there like a movie about the French queen?" she asked, looking up from the history book. She had her new reading glasses on, and they made her eyes look slightly bigger and even more Disney-like than usual.

"No idea," I replied, spinning the laptop around as I went to open the door for one of the cats who was gently clawing on the other side.

"Her name's Marie Antoinette," she mumbled.

I turned to face the screen when I'd let Olivia into the room. "Oh yeah, that name does sound familiar."

She nodded and turned her eyes down to the book again. In the silence that followed, I could hear Taylor talking to someone that I hadn't heard earlier when my door had been closed. I couldn't make out who the voice belonged to at first, and it took me a few seconds to realize it was Tree. I hadn't heard her arrive and I wondered why she was there, so I decided to end the call with Corinne to see what was going on.

After I'd said goodbye to Corinne, I left Olivia in my room and headed out into the living room where Taylor and Tree were sitting on the couch. Taylor looked furious, hunching over her phone, while Tree was good at not letting her emotions show and calmly met my eyes as I appeared behind the fireplace.

"Are you mad?" I tentatively asked Taylor.

Tree gave me a look, confirming it, but Taylor still didn't look up at me, making me concerned. "Uh, did I do some-" I started asking warily, but Taylor quickly cut me off, finally looking up.

"No."

Feeling relieved that I wasn't the cause for her anger, I curiously walked over to the couch to see what was going on. I peered over her shoulder to see an interview article with Kanye West.

"Why are you reading that?" I wondered, making a face as I pointed to her phone.

She pursed her lips together and looked to be thinking about whether or not to show me, but Tree ultimately made the decision for her by taking Taylor's phone from her and giving it to me. I stood next to her as I scanned the article, only slowing down when my eyes scanned over her name.

He was talking about the same old scandal related to Taylor that was sadly carved into my brain from how many times I'd come across it online, and then... he mentioned me.

I had to reread it twice because I couldn't believe that he'd actually mentioned me. What he said didn't really bother me at all — taking credit for me getting adopted among some other false things — but it was surreal that he even knew of my existence in the first place and that he'd mentioned me in an unrelated interview.

I looked up from the phone with a shocked expression and gave it back to Taylor, not sure what to say.

"Mhm," Tree hummed, crossing her arms over her chest. Taylor and Tree's evident anger quickly made me recover from my initial shock.

"Mom... I really don't care what he says." I went over and slouched down in the armchair across from them.

"Well, I do," Taylor said, looking over at me with a serious expression.

"Clearly," I mumbled, pursing my lips to suppress a small smile.

"Skye, it's not funny. Since they already published the interview, everyone has something to say about it, and they're all waiting for our response." She was flailing her arms around as she spoke, and I was afraid that she'd accidentally lose the grip on her phone and make it fly across the room.