Joan Mir- World champion

My gosh this year has been one hell of a rollercoaster with all the restrictions in the paddock and the crazy season with Marc getting injured and Fabio dominating until he kind of fell apart a little bit. Something I never saw coming was Joan to end up leading the championship not that I didn't want him to because of course if it were up to me he would win every race but it all just happened so quick no one really had any time to take it in before crunch time came and all the pressure that comes with leading a championship.

Now its all coming together and Joan can win the championship here in Valencia where just two weeks ago he won his first race. It's been a tense weekend so far and its only been two days I can't imagine how everyone else in the team feels because this means so much to them to win them championship especially being a new team my only real attachment to all of this is being Joan's girlfriend. So far things are going alright Joan is 12th on the grind which isn't great but it's better than other races so there is still a lot of hope there's just a lot of nerves as well. I can tell the pressure is really starting to get to Joan and I don't blame him but nows really not the time for that so I have really been trying to calm him down because the goal is achievable and he just doesn't seem to realise that.

We barely slept last night no matter my attempts to get rid of the nerves for the both of us it just didn't work although I think I somehow slept worse just watching Joan to make sure he was ok and getting at least a little sleep. The night went by so quickly that I barely realised I was getting no sleep because each time I checked the time it was still around 2am but then all of a sudden our alarm was going off at 6:30.

The atmosphere was very strange because there was a lot of excitement about the possibilities of today but also a lot of nerves about losing it or things not going to plan. I've never seen Joan quite so quiet before a race normally he is always talking about his plans and how he's feeling about the race but today was just silence. He was fiddling with his hands which was a nervous habit of his and he was struggling to eat as was I but I'd much prefer him to eat something. I grabbed his hand under the table and rubbed my thumb over his knuckles to get his attention.

"Hey its going to be alright just keep calm and it will all be ok you just need to keep calm" I said

"I know it just feels like a lot of pressure from everyone else and I want to do it for the team" he explained

"I know you want to do it for the team but we both know they don't want you thinking about that right now you need to be a bit selfish and think about yourself and what you need to do out there on track" I said

That brought out the smile I'm used to seeing before a race and seemed to bring out his usual character that I've really missed this weekend and the past few weeks. We have been arguing more over these past few weeks but in the back of my mind I knew he wasn't really mad and was just very overwhelmed and I knew this because all I had to do was give him a few minutes before he would apologise a million times for starting an argument. The team have noticed a difference as well because they have been asking me if he's alright all the time even if I'm not there during the weekend I always get a text asking me to try and calm him down or do something to help it's been difficult for everyone but once it's over it will all be worth it and things will be better than they ever have before.

Soon enough it was time for warm up and none of us could do anything to change how Joan rode until after he comes back, being just warm up the nerves weren't too much higher than normal everyone was just hoping he wouldn't crash which is a pretty normal thing for me when watching anything during the weekend. I was pacing around the garage the longer warm up went on watching him push the limits more than I would like, another thing going through my head is what I'm going to be like during the race if I'm pacing around during warm up.