Chapter Twenty

Pick

What the fuck have I done? The front door closed behind Wildcat and I wanted to run out, shoot the motherfuckers, and save the day. But I couldn't, or my own ma would be dead by tomorrow. I needed this money. This last time.

No matter how much it had hurt to watch the dicks take them.

Fuck.

I'd never forget the look on Cody's face when I walked in and did nothing to help the situation. I let Vic hit Wildcat. I just stood by and did nothing...like the pussy I was.

I was scared, and that was all it came down to.

And it fuckin' hurt.

It hurt to see the pain in Wildcat's eyes. She felt betrayed by me, and it was justified.

Vic raised his gun and pointed it at the gay guys. "Right, change of plans. I have to get out of here now, so we gotta kill these fuckers."

I stepped forward, hands raised. "What? No way, man. That wasn't the plan. We need to stick to the plan."

"Can't. They can't live. You should'a figured that out from the start, brother. They know us and they'll run to Talon. Then, we're as good as dead."

"Please, no," Julian cried. Mattie stared at us with wide eyes. But his eyes also showed that he hadn't expected anything different to come from us. He closed his eyes as he pulled Julian closer, and rested Julian's forehead against his shoulder.

I felt disgusted in myself.

Fuck!

I couldn't let this happen. I would not have more blood on my hands. The only reason I let Wildcat go was because I knew her dickhead ex wouldn't kill her.

Yeah, you just keep tellin' yourself that.

I had to believe that. Or else I did all this for nothing. Really, I did it for nothing anyway. I already knew my ma wouldn't change, and it made me feel sick. Give her six months and she'd be back to owing, in more ways than one.

So why was I helping her now? After what she'd done? After the hell she'd put me through all my fuckin' fucked-up life. Who did that to their child?

Who sold their own child's body to be used by rich fat-arse bitches?

Jesus.

I couldn't let this happen.

"No, Vic."

He turned his hard stare on me, but I gave as good as I got and met his gaze with my own.

"What the fuck you mean, no?"

"This ain't happenin'." I pulled out my own gun from where it sat at the back of my pants at my waist, and pointed it at Vic. He didn't think I had it in me. That I'd shoot. I could tell, because he still held his gun at the gay guys.

"Don't do this, brother. Don't fuck this up for the both of us just 'cause you're a pussy and can't kill two fuckin' poofs."

"I should never have been involved. I should have manned up at the start and told Talon your plan, but I didn't, and I let Wildcat walk out. Christ, with her kids, and I'm gonna have to live with that. But I can't let you do this. I won't let you kill them."

One of them gasped, but I didn't dare look their way.

"You're pathetic. Why Talon ever let you join, I'll never fuckin' know. You could never handle the paybacks for the club. You're useless."

Scoffing to myself, I thought, I guess he'll soon find out how useless I am.

I watched his hand twitch and I knew.